Removing Scratches

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Bubblehead, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I have a stainless steel S&W 686 revolver. I have some scratches in the side plate cover and was wondering if they could be removed by polishing, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

John
  2. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

If it's brushed SS you might use 4-600 paper with hard backing to remove the scratches unless they are real deep. I have done that to several SS guns.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

if your gun is polished but not high polished use some course synthetic steel wool through progressively finer synthetic steel wool then use some buffing compound on a soft mop, or by hand with a t shirt. use progressively finer compounds until the finish you get matches the finish on the rest of the gun. if you go to far and make it too shiny all you have to do is go back to the previous stage
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Go lightly with a green Scotch Brite pad.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I've done entire guns with the same deal. 1000 grit wet sandpaper and then use a low speed buffer with stainless rouge. Do not get heavy on the buff, it will gaul the finish. Smiths have no particular buff pattern so change the angle frequently so it looks like the original finish.