Renegade or Desantis Apache ankle rig?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by WhiteRhino, Nov 15, 2003.

1. WhiteRhino

WhiteRhino New Member

I decided to go with the Smith 340PD w/HiViz sights for my light carry/BUG. I have ordered a PCS pocket holster from Lightning Arms Sports, buty now am trying to decide what ankle rig to go with. Any thoughts between the Desantis Apache or the Renegade ankle holster?
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I'm not familiar wit those, but here are some construction tips to consider. I used a nylon no-name ankle rig from an outfit in Lakeland Fla for several years. It had a garter strap which went between the knee and top of calf, then the body of the holster had a wider strap which cinched down with Velcro. The holster was your basic nyoon with a tie down strap for the hammer on the Sith. It worked OK. The nylon was kind of hot - no sweat band. The carry was a bit high, which concealed well if you sit down in public places - but made for a slightly slower draw.

I have switched to a Ken Null ANK ring now. It has a much thicker band and a form fitted horse hide holster - versus the rather shapeless nylon from before. The band is backed with felt and disapates sweat well - not hot spots. It carries lower on the ankle than my older rig - which is OK, but I try to be aware that the bottom may show below the pant leg when sitting down. I stick with black socks - or pull the sock over the rig - for more camo. There is no garter strap with this rig. I can say that it fits well, and holds tight even with no tie down strap. I can't shake the gun loose.

The Ga GBI uses a Galco design that is similar with a fleece backing. My nephew - an agent - is pleased with it.

In summary - look into the backing on your rig - some form of sweat disapating material is a real plus. A boned holster fits and is more stable during activity than a nylon "pocket."
  3. WhiteRhino

WhiteRhino New Member

Thanks. Does the Ken Null print much?
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Not at all with the kind of pants I wear. Even with the ubiquitous Levi's it does fine - stick with boot cuts. The normal khakis and such - works great. Do check your state laws though - some sttes do not allow concealed carry except between the waist and shoulders - just a watch out.