Replaced my greenhouse roof today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deacon_Man, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Well I finally got off my ass and put a new covering on my greenhouse. I really like to raise all my own vegie plants for my yearly garden. This summers heat melted the roof of my greenhouse. We had plenty of days as hot as 109 deg. It does'nt take much of that to screw things up. My greenhouse is a A-frame design. I put solid ends and 6 mil. plastic covering over the roof. I stripped the plastic with 1/4 x 1 1/2 wood I cut from a 2 x 10 board. I use three 250 watt heat lamps to keep it warm in the winter months. It measures 10 ft. x 8 ft X 10 ft. tall. It raises all the plants I need in my garden and have plenty to give all my neabors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Willie

Willie Active Member

Real nice! Can you tell me what you grow? I am thinking of doing one as my wife loves to garden and we just moved to a place with room. She has outside stuff going but what can you do inside besides starting plants for spring? I am near Galveston so my climate might be like yours.
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Good deal on the greenhouse, got a small homemade one myself which I need to make some repairs on too. How do ya cool it off with that kinda Texas heat? I had an old German neighbor when we lived in the MatSu; he grew flowers for hanging baskets that sold for prices I'd never pay and he spent more in cooling costs in May than heat costs in February.

I just grow starts in my greenhouse, couple hundred brocc, iceberg,kalerabs, cabbage, then once done I start zucchini in there and they produce until October. Gotta luv the garden which the greenhouse enhances. Here in the AK interior, we have short season, but 24 hr light.

I could only find this pict of mine which is in background of my shooting bench.

[​IMG]
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i have 2 window frames i lay over seedlings to protect em before the frosts stop ( early August here) thems my green house , otherwise no need , i can plant later too but like to get a early start

but i do like your green house Deacon Man, looks real handy
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

No ventilation?:eek:
  6. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

To move the air thru, I open the south window and the door has a drop window. I don't cool it in the summer. I raise my plants off by April 15th and plant them in the garden.
  7. vytoland

vytoland New Member

you got 'maters n peppers n there?
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

In Alaska, people grow tomatoes in greenhouses, too cool at night to do good outside in short summer. It'll be 75 80 during the day and 40 at 3 am and still light outside. I never had much luck with them in my greenhouse.
  9. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

gotta have maters! better boy and cherries. so good fresh and cold.
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I just have them flown in on mail plane, around 3 bucks each but worth it. I've tried growing them in greenhouse, never had much luck.
  11. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

Maybe a shade cloth would help keep the plastic from melting in the summer. We have a 8x10 green house, and planning a hoop house for next spring. Made two of them before from pvc plans on the computer, but they don't handle the snow load and wind here. Next one will be galvanized tubing.
  12. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I start all my plants in the greenhouse. Tamatoes, peppers, squash and I have raised my own onion starts. A lot of times I also buy small cheap plants at the flea market and put them in the greenhouse for a month or so. By planting time they are nice big plants.
    My garden is 50ft. x 60ft. fenced in with a auto watering system on a timer. I raise all we can eat and fill the freezers with and give the rest to the local church and friends and family. It's a good hobby along with my guns and golf.
    I retired in 2007 while fighting bladder cancer. I finally won the cancer battle and now I'm finally enjoying the good life.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Good to hear!
  14. geds

geds New Member

It's great that you not only have beat cancer, but that you've found things you enjoy doing and are able to do them. And to help others while doing so is just icing on the cake!