1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

replacement screws for old Weaver side mounted base

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Apr 25, 2011.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I have a Remington model 514 rifle that has a Weaver J4 scope on it and is mounted to the rifle with an old Weaver side-mounted base and rings.

Some of the screws in the base & rings have been messed up by a former owner of the rifle.

The only markings I see on the base is that it has "M3" on the side of it.

Does anyone know where (other than Weaver & Brownells, which I have already tried or having to drive 2 or 3 hundrred miles to local gunsmiths to see if they might have what I need) I might find some replacement screws for this Weaver side-mounted base and rings ?

Thanks.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Your looking for the ring screws? They are 5-40's or 5-44's if I remember right. The mount that attaches to the receiver is using thumbscrews that are 6-40. Locally that is a strange size. Hobby shops sometimes carry trox screws that size. Otherwise mcmaster.com has just about any size you can think of.
  3. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Actually, I am mostly looking to replace the BASE screws - all 4 of them are messed up & then just 1 of the rings screws is messed up - so I want to replace that one also.

The screws that are currently in the BASE are just plain single cross-sloted screws and so are the rings' screws. The screws in the base are a good bit bigger than the ones in the rings.

Thanks.