replacement screws for old Weaver side mounted base

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Apr 25, 2011.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I have a Remington model 514 rifle that has a Weaver J4 scope on it and is mounted to the rifle with an old Weaver side-mounted base and rings.

Some of the screws in the base & rings have been messed up by a former owner of the rifle.

The only markings I see on the base is that it has "M3" on the side of it.

Does anyone know where (other than Weaver & Brownells, which I have already tried or having to drive 2 or 3 hundrred miles to local gunsmiths to see if they might have what I need) I might find some replacement screws for this Weaver side-mounted base and rings ?

Thanks.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Your looking for the ring screws? They are 5-40's or 5-44's if I remember right. The mount that attaches to the receiver is using thumbscrews that are 6-40. Locally that is a strange size. Hobby shops sometimes carry trox screws that size. Otherwise mcmaster.com has just about any size you can think of.
  3. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Actually, I am mostly looking to replace the BASE screws - all 4 of them are messed up & then just 1 of the rings screws is messed up - so I want to replace that one also.

The screws that are currently in the BASE are just plain single cross-sloted screws and so are the rings' screws. The screws in the base are a good bit bigger than the ones in the rings.

Thanks.