Replacing barrel on a Ruger 10/22. Questions regarding bedding etc.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by The Count, Jan 26, 2011.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

Hi all,

just ordered a replacement barrel for a one year old 10/22. I know this gun will never be an Anschutz but I want to see how good it can get for target shooting. A gunsmith friend of mine already adjusted the trigger pull down to about 3 pounds. Today I took the bolt/action apart and highly polished all surfaces. The action already sounds much slicker than before. The barrel I will be getting is a E. R. Shaw Barrel Ruger 10/22 22 Long Rifle .920" Diameter 1 in 16" Twist 18".

Which brings me to the actual question. I assume I have to do some work on the inside of the stock to get the barrel in anyway.... Should I just go ahead and remove wood from all areas touching the barrel, thus making it a free float? Is that the way to go for max accuracy or should I look into bedding/pillars of which I know absolutely zero>>>?
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I wouldn't free float a 10/22. The standard barrel is just press fit and pinned. (as you know hence the barrel replacement) If you free float it all of the stress is on the alloy receiver which will give way over time. The 10/22 relies on the front band and stock to handle such stress so if your thinking bedding, full length bed it. Don't worry about the pillars, its overkill for a gun with little recoil and your then attaching those pillars to a plastic trigger guard (newer models) which will offer little support. Follow JLA's instructions for bedding in the other thread that he started. Its much the same. I would get a glass bedding kit though, nothing against JB weld, its similar in rigidity but you'll need much more with a full length bed, the brownells single gun kits is plenty.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  3. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

TheFirearmsForum.Com > TECHNICAL QUESTIONS AND INFORMATION
    Bedding a rifle stock...
    Hope this makes it a bit easier for you to find it, if you haven't already.
    Also Volquartzen makes some nice target stuff for a 10/22.
    https://www.volquartsen.com/
    P.S. They also make a pretty sweet stainless receiver,should yours wear out.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  4. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

I have had good luck with a pillar under the action and drilling the hold down block, threading it and putting a hex head screw in it, pushing up on the barrel with about 10 inch pounds. The pillar is just above the wood so the action just sits on it. I woul not mind a rear bedding point, and could work on putting one on, but it shoots ine as it is. I can't say I'm real serious about the rifle.
    Have not hurt the action yet. The back of the action and barrel are free floated.
    It's a decent shooter.
    I'm not much into 10-22's, it's just a play rifle, my Savage is a tack driver, so its my go to gun for target shooting, the 10-22 is fun for hunting small critters and plinking.

John K