Replacing M-1 barrel.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CHW2021, Aug 3, 2012.

1. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

I have a universal M-1 that is screwed up (no surprize there) that needs a new barrel. The gas block cracked and ruined the threads for the gas piston nut, it can't be saved. I am thinking of having a military take off barrel installed and want to know what pitfalls are involved in re-using a barrel.
    I did think of using a new production barrel, but the cost of a new barrel for a "second rate" military clone just does not make sense (and I can't afford it).

I believe that the reciever is fully compatible with military parts, the 2 guns look identical when out of the wood and side by side.

Advise please.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

There are really no pitfalls except you can get another bad barrel so examine carefully. Honestly I've gotten bad new barrels too. One thing is that the barrels just can't be swapped b/c they probably won't clock right. You may get the gas assy lined up but the barrel is still loose or way out of position even when tight. Also the headspacing must be set. Taking a old military take off barrel and matching it to another receiver usually usually leaves the headspace excessive.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The latest Gun Parts Corp. catalog that I have shows gas cylinder blocks available at $6.00 or so. Give them a call or write as they don't show it as a separate part in their diagram. A gunsmith should be able to install it, but I am not sure it is a DIY job. They were originally swaged in place.

Jim
  4. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Hmmmm very interesting; do you think silver solder or would it need to be welded?
    Would welding warp/distort the barrel if it installs in that manner?
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

AFAIK, they were just swaged (pressed on). It would be easier to cut off the old one (it is useless anyway) and see how it is attached. Then if you can actually get a replacement for that small amount of money you can see how it fits. It might be an easy job, or it might require a gunsmith; I don't know that much about the Universal carbines and how much they deviate from the originals.

Jim