Replacing Rear Slider Window In Truck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zhurh, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

My son was loading up the crew cab with logs, broke rear slider window, (one of the 2 pieces). So, I had a buddy pick up entire rear window at junk yard and I hear it's easier to replace single slider piece than entire rear window & seal. Believe it or not, something I've never done before, so I figured you all have been there and done that; any advice on best way to not break glass and get it in? Got to get it done before caribou starts on the 10th.

So how do you do it? Thanks in advance.
  2. Juker

Juker New Member

I replaced one on a Dodge Dakota in 1987, first year they were made. That particular model was no more difficult than lifting up on the sliding panel, and pulling the bottom inward on the cab side - no more difficult than removing a screen door. It also made me realize how easy it would be for someone to break in that way, so I haven't had a slider since! :)
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

This truck is a 97 ford 1 ton pwr stroke, kind of wood truck ya keep around. I'm going to take a look, but don' t think it will come out that easy, thanks. Hope I'm wrong, ha. Get some soapy water I guess and have at it.
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

Good luck - keep us posted!
  5. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

Wrap a small cord (less than 1/4 inch) (overlapped like first thing when tying yer shoe) around the track of the window, have someone hold the window against the window hole, pull the cord from the opposite side - might add a small amount of oil/soap - wahlah - it be done - easy - even for an OF like me!
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I had a Chevy that had the solid window and wanted a slider. With the help of my then bil, we replaced it and it was fairly easy.

As I recall, the actual slider portion was not replaceable. It musta been molded in the framework? It wasn't at all like a home window.
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I have the entire window, buddy got it for $175 from junkyard in Fairbanks and brought it back with him for me. He said it would be easier to just replace section, but I know what you're saying from how it looks to me, and I'd think be easier to replace entire window. After posting, I looked on computer and there's a film clip doing the window. We are still on slow dial up where we live but the wifey's classroom has high speed. We are going to run into town and look at clip tonight. Then I'll know for sure how it's done. Thanks everybody too.
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Step one: Remove the window stripping (on the outside), and any on the inside.
    Step two: Push out the glass with your feet. It make take some bodily contortions (depending on yer size and that of the cab). Glass shouldn't break.
    Step 3: Clean out all the sealent from the frame and clean the channel up good.
    Step 4: Make sure the window is gonna fit!:eek:
    Step 5: Apply new sealent to the frame and install window. We used a 2x4 placed across the window and held in place by ratchet straps (one on each side). Tension them up so the window isn't goin anywhere. Let sit for 24 hrs and ya should be golden.

Worked fer me anyway.:)
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I broke my rear slider last year, got a one piece. No real use for a slider in my case and way to easy to break into. Either way though, its easier to replace the window as a whole. Clean everything very well before applying the new sealant and you will be fine.
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Finally got that window in the old truck today. Took me about an hour and a half, if I ever have to do it again, be 1/2 hour kind of thing.

I just put entire window with old gasket and no sealant, probably be just fine. The rope worked great with a big screwdriver. Thanks everybody
  11. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Congrats Zhurh!:ya::ya::ya:
  12. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Congrats, I used to break into my dakota slider all the time.