1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

replacing stock (fixed sights) on XD(m)

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Oct 29, 2009.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I just received my Springfield Armory XD(m) 9mm last week.

I am thinking about replacing the fixed sights with adjustable sights.

Does anyone have any experience with removing the factory/fixed sights from one of these pistols and replacing them with after-market adjustable sights or is this a job that should only be attempted by Springfield Armory ?

1) Is it likely that a novice can remove the factory sights without damaging the finish on the gun ? If so, what would be best instrument for removing fixed sights (something that a non-gunsmith would have) ?

2) Is it likely that a novice can install after-market adjustable sights without damaging the finish on the gun ?

3) What would be some good candidates for after-market replacement adjustable sight for the XD(m) ?

Thanks.
  2. kda

kda New Member

Why do you need adjustable. Do you shoot at some great distances? Do you plan to shoot precision target matches? Perhaps if you indicated what you needed / wanted them for the forum could give you better ideas on replacements.
  3. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Yes, want to do precision shooting.
  4. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Yes, there is a tool that clamps on and pushes the sights off. I just went from standard Glocks sights, to Night sights of the three dots type. It took about 15 minutes at my local smith to take the old ones off, and install the new. No dings,scatches, or out of alignment sights. Without the tool, it will be iffy that you will have fun!