1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Replacing the rear sight on a Kimber 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by lonewolf204, Jul 17, 2011.

1. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

I've been reading about and looking at changing the rear fixed sights on my Kimbers to a target model adjustable sight. What I have read if the Kimber did'nt come with adjustable sights you can't install an adjustable sight, So I'm stuck with the fixed sights that I don't like. Does anyone know more about changing from a fixed to an ajustable rear sight on the Kimber 1911s. I like the bomar style sight.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Sight cut corresponds to the sight. Almost every manufacturer of sights uses a propritary sight cut. Novak sights fit Novak dovetails, Bo-Mar sights fit Bo-Mar dovetails, and so forth.

As far as I know the Kimbers use a Novak rear sight relief milled into the frame for most of their models, and the BM-1 (Bomar) rear sight relief for the target models. You gotta know which rear sight cut you have so you can order the right one. And they do have adjustable Novak style rear sights that are just as user adjustable as the Bomars.

Aside from the Novak cut and the Bomar cut, there is the USGI dovetail (colt dovetail) that takes a GI style notch sight. It is found on most of the RIAs and Springfield base models, including, of course the GI model.

I recommed you use a sight pusher to get the old sight off, you can install the new ones with the pusher (recommended) or use a hammer and nylon punch.
  3. lonewolf204

I've read that Kimber has there on rear sight cut.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You know what. I think you are right, I remember haveing to go thru a buncha hassle emailing Kimber and trying to getthe specs on what their sight cut was supposed to be. It seems they cleverly designed their cut so that no other cuts can be milled without ruining the slide.

Perhaps this is easier..;) There are 2 adjustable units for the Kimbers listed on this page.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Cate...Rear Sights:Kimber Black Serrated Rear Sights
  5. lonewolf204

The problem is all my Kimbers have fixed sights. These adjustable sights, like all I have seen say they are for Kimbers with factory adjustable sights. Does this mean they will not fit in place of the fixed sight?
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Kimber rears are .330 X 60 degree but to go to a adjustable rear from a fixed rear you need to relieve the slide in front of the dovetail and make a lower cut behind the dovetail to allow the adjustable to go on. You can use the existing dovetail but You can't just go from a non adjustable rear to a bomar style adjustable that you see on there target series. Kensight makes one specifically for the kimber that looks like the standard bomar rear or you can get one from Kimber. You need a mill to cut the slide for the adjustable rears. Its kinda a common practice for some smiths. Runs about 60 bucks to make the cuts and install the sight. And JLA is right, you need a pusher to get them off and on. Kimbers are stubborn.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  7. lonewolf204

Thanks for all the info! I don't have a mill, So I guess I will be looking for a qualified smith with one. Thanks again for all yalls help!