Reporting spam/abusive posts

Discussion in 'TFF Technical Support Forum & Suggestion Box' started by Bobitis, May 31, 2011.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Can I flag more than once? Does that help or hinder?
    Does it take more than one flag to get attention?
    Who gets to deep six the intruder?

I'm curious as we've been getting a lot of crap here lately.

Jack does a great job of catching the stuff when most of us are sleeping.:D

But who gets to push the button?
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i would like to know the fastest way to notify TFF if something is wrong
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

bob we do get your first posts , and all others that last spammer got 3-4 of the members to report

its dont help to post more than once , but it dont hinder really

cheers for the tips but eh ! dirty critter spamming our homes , really ;)
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Thanks Jack.
    The last few have gone away really fast.:D

I was just curious as to the chain of command.

Your hours obviously conflict with us here in the US. Seems I read hear that only a few have the 'command code'.

Do you greenies get to block posts until the purples get informed? And then banned?

Either way, it seems to work very well as of late.:D
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

well i see spam i hit the report like anyone , then i go through the admin bit and remove the post, that let's the admins know and they can ban the offender if they deem so, we do block posts from them but banning is top level ( above my pay grade )

terry or sam generally then let us know via a post that they are gone ..

onto the next ones .. that last one i got reports from you (Bob) , callmaker and myself .. just so you know
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Speaking just for myself, spam post handling works this way:
    Someone flags a post, and that generates an e-mail which comes into my inbox even if I am not logged in to TFF. This e-mail includes the reporters comments, and has a link to the post and to the thread. I go to the post, usually to discover that someone - usually Jack, during my morning time period, has 'soft' deleted the post, which means only moderators and admin's can see it. I 'hard' delete it, which removes it completely, then I go to the posters profile and ban them permanently.
    Flagging posts is absolutely the FASTEST way to get rid of them, because it might be hours before a mod or admin happens to find them on their own.
    Like Jack said, multiple reports do not cause the spam to go away any quicker, but the do not hurt anything either.
    Last night, I had five e-mails reporting ngenerr, for instance, within minutes of his posting. I hard deleted one of his posts, then deleted the thread he started, then banned him - and he was still on-line. This whole thing took MINUTES.
    I have a mental image of this spammer making one post, starting a thread with another, and when he tried to make a third discovered he was already banned.

It is the MEMBERS that make this process a success.
    FLAG those SPAMS - if you think someone else has already flagged them, flag them anyway - it hurts nothing! TFF is of such a size and activity level that the ONLY way SPAM is short lived here is when members are diligent about reporting it.

THANK YOU to all the members that do this, and THANK YOU to all the mod's that spend time working on it.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yep Thanks to the members who let us know ,
  8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

GREAT JOB on ngenerr, by the way, Jack -
    You had the post removed before I could even get there!!