Resize new brass?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by TranterUK, May 7, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have just taken delivery of new brass. I used to resize new, but some say dont bother.

Opinions?
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Seems risky to not resize unless you are sure the new rounds are going to chamber correctly in your firearm. I'm always one for procedures and skipping a step doesn't work for me. I resize new brass just to make sure. I will say that it goes into the sizing die much easier than once fired brass. :)
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I didn't used to. Then I found some loaded rounds that would not chamber. Now I resize all brass, new or used.
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I size the new, just to make certain that all the dimensions are correct.
  5. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I also resize all new brass. As much to make sure the neck is the correct diameter as the body of the case.
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Good enough for you lot, good enough for me. Anyway, gives me something to do while thinking about work...:)
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Brass is probably made on a machine that spits out 10,000 to 20,000 pieces and hour...or more. How perfect can each and every piece be?

mike
    gn
  8. XP100

XP100 Member

I resize and trim all my New brass.
  9. 38 special

38 special New Member

How about just see how each case fits in gun? if its a revolver,and the cases can be dropped right in the cylinder, you dont need to size them.If a bolt action rifle, see if the cases drop in ok and then close the bolt and see if its tight -if not ,then dont bother sizing them. If a semi auto pistol it would be more of a pain to check -same with a semi auto rifle. just my 2cents
  10. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

An oddity for me but I will go with the majority this time and suggest resizing. I admit that I did not until recently when I received an order of bulk brass from Midway that contained a sheet recommending initial sizing. It was either Rem or Win.
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Oh man, this past weekend I loaded a bunch of .308 with new brass that I did not resize. This is the first time that I did not resize new brass and I don't know what got into me, I hope they chamber without any problems.
  12. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I have not done resizing on new brass myself - have not had any problems.
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

:eek:Buy 500 new pieces of brass and see if each one fits in the gun? What a way to spend a rainy day.:rolleyes:
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It is a good idea to resize new brass because so much of it comes through with dented case mouths. On my progressive Dillon RL550B it makes little difference if I size or not because the brass has to go into the first station anyway to get primed. Eliminating a step screws up the rhythm of operating the press and it is just easier to resize. If, for whatever reason (like after resizing and trimming the brass), I don't want to resize then I simply remove the sizing die from the press head and proceed as if it is there. You gots to have rhythm, man!

If you single stage reload it would make a time difference but the brass comes already sized and already the correct length (needs no trimming) and you only need to resize the dented brass. What you single stage press guys need to do is go progressive :) :).

Just because manufacturers make brass in large quantities on large machines does not mean it is inaccurately made. In a ammo factory I would bet that the brass goes from the brass making machines directly to the ammo making machines, without any resizing being done.

LDBennett
  15. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator New Member

Redmond Oregon ( middle of state refered to as Cen
    When I buy new brass it is usually 200/300 at a time and I want them to be relatively uniform so my loads turn ot the same way. I size them, trim them, deburr the flash holes and sort them into lots of 50 based on weight. If I were a bencrest competition shooter I would probabally add turning the case necks to that as well. On that thought when you fire your loads on paper targets using a good rest and you get a flier that you know was dead on when the gun went off try this,,, take a sharpie pen and mark the base of the case andthose casesn seperate it from the herd. Clean those cases by hand as not to have the tumbler remove the sharpie ink and process them back into the lot they came from. If you get another flyer from that case you will know it as it has the suspect mark on it. If this happens again give it the old smash and trash treatment . I have weeded out quite a few cases over time this way where the cases visually and dimensionally seemed fine and the groups gets get better and better. Hi my name is Dave and I am a reloadaholic,,,
  16. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator New Member

Redmond Oregon ( middle of state refered to as Cen
    When I buy new brass it is usually 200/300 at a time and I want them to be relatively uniform so my loads turn ot the same way. I size them, trim them, deburr the flash holes and sort them into lots of 50 based on weight. If I were a bencrest competition shooter I would probabally add turning the case necks to that as well. On that thought when you fire your loads on paper targets using a good rest and you get a flier that you know was dead on when the gun went off try this,,, take a sharpie pen and mark the base of the case and then take that case and seperate it from the herd. Clean those cases by hand as not to have the tumbler remove the sharpie ink and process them back into the lot they came from. If you get another flyer from that case you will know it as it has the suspect mark on it. If this happens again give it the old smash and trash treatment . I have weeded out quite a few cases over time this way where the cases visually and dimensionally seemed fine and the groups gets get better and better. Hi my name is Dave and I am a reloadaholic,,,
  17. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

I debur and chamfer the new brass. Resizing no, not on new. I haven't had a problem yet. (oh, by the way, it's bad luck to be supersticious:D)
    I usually buy Winchester, and Starline. Occasionally Federal.
  18. 38 special

38 special New Member

YOu could just take a random sampling and if they fit you are probably good to go. Also it would probably take more time to sit and put every case thru the resizing die especially if you didnt have a carbide die and have to lube each one.
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i only resize new brass if the case mouths are out of round. otherwise i dont bother
  20. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

I don't buy new brass but if I did I would resize it before it got loaded.
    Rusty