Resizing Problem

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by boogerken, Oct 9, 2009.

1. boogerken

boogerken New Member

My previous reloding experience is with a Lee loader, which only neck sizes. I have recently aquired a RCBS and am trying to full length resize my 7MM Rem Mag brass. I find when I set it up per the RCBS instructions, the cases are dimpling at the neck. I backed off the die about 1/4 turn which eliminates the dimpling, but they won't chamber in my second rifle (only chamber in the one they were fired in).

Any advise? I want to fire them in the second gun. Are the dimples a concern?
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

You'll probably want to head down to the Reloading & Ammo forum for more reloading tips/info.

But, to answer your dimpling question...
    You're applying too much lube to the cases. There is a tiny hole in the shoulder area of the die for any extra lube to escape...but it just all can't get through there all at once.
    Try applying it thinner. But don't use too little or skip the lube altogether...then the case will stick in the resizing die. Not a fun job to extract those, but pretty much everyone that reloads has done it (or will do it) a few times in their reloading career.

What brand case lube are you using? The RCBS liquid/gel type? That stuff is pretty gooey and too much will cause the dimpling you're getting.

Another solution would be to try a different type of lube. Some guys here use the aerosol spray on stuff but my favorite is the paste type lube (Hornady "Unique", Imperial, or Lee lube).

As for the cases that you've already dimpled... If it's just a few dimples in the case shoulder, they will fireform out just fine.
    If it's some big dimples in the side of the case, they will usually fireform the dents just fine...but not always. You might see a permanent crease line where the dent was.

And welcome to TFF!
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The dimple sounds like too much lube to me. Ease up on the lube and that should take care of the problem. Also, clean the inside of the die with a dry patch to get rid of the lube that is already inside it.

Welcome to the Forum, booger.

This thread will probably be moved to the Ammo and Reloading forum, pretty soon.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Dang, you're a fast typer Bindernut, beat me to it.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Here's a problem with belt type magnum cases:

In most cases of Magnum rifles the chambers are made extra long and not controlled as on regular rimless cases because the case headspaces off the belt rather than the shoulder of the case. The reduced chamber tolerances on the shoulder area allows manufacturers to get sloppy in the chamber size. The result is fired cases, that are repeated re-sized, push the cases back and forth, working the brass, and shortening the life of the cases significantly. In MOST magnum rifles the brass that is fully re-sized last through only one or two reloads. Partly this is because the pressures are so high and partly and mostly because most magnum rifles have excessively long chambers.

The "trick" to longer brass life is to not fully re-size the cases and to segregate the brass to only be used with a specific rifle. Then the brass is sized to about one or two thousandths shorter than the chamber. You need a RCBS (or equivalent) case gage to measure the brass as it comes out of the rifle after firing. You start by backing the sizing die off from hitting the shell holder about a turn. You progressively resize the fired test case until it measures a few thousands shorter than the fired brass by moving the sizing die closer to the shell holder in small incremental steps. Lock the die down and use still another fired case to verify you got it right. This partial sizing process works on any rifle of any caliber of any case design and assures minimum working of the brass and max life from that brass. Be sure to check and trim the cases as necessary AFTER re-sizing.

While this helps with case life I find Magnum cartridges that head space on the belt a pain to reload for. I will not buy anymore Magnum cartridge rifles of this type after my one 7mm Mag BAR. Love the gun and hate this magnum cartridge because of this reloading problem.

I agree with the others here that what you are seeing is dimples from too much case lube. I don't like spray lubes as they get that way too easily. I use the old fashion RCBS pad and lube. The pad is made only damp with the lube and a single complete roll on the pad is sufficient.

LDBennett
  6. zb338

zb338 New Member

Don't lube the shoulder of your cases. Lightly lube the case from
    the shoulder down and use a good dry lube for the inside and
    outside of the neck. I have loaded many cases using this technique,
    and it works. LD is absolutely right in everything he says. I find that
    you can do it without a gauge. I use the chamber of the rifle and feel
    how the bolt closes on a case all the while setting the sizing die in small increments.
    Zeke
  7. boogerken

boogerken New Member

Thanks to all of you! I'll give it a go!
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

zb338 said

"I find that you can do it without a gauge."

I new that and considered discussing it but I didn't want to suggest it because if you get it wrong or the gun heats up then the cartridge done this way may not fit the chamber. I would most certainly not want to be responsible for someone missing their game because my recommendation kept them from loading a cartridge into the chamber in the field. Do it my way (not actually my way but the partial sizing way with the gage) and the cartridge should never NOT fit the chamber.

Thanks for bring up using the gun's chamber as a gage. Now a paper shooter has options. The hunter can decide for himself if he wants to risk using the chamber as a gage.

LDBennett
  9. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Use the aerosol lube. It is fast and easy and you never have to worry about excess lube causing problems on the shoulder.
  10. williamd

williamd New Member

Yea, too much lube. Been there, done that! Do not worry. The dimples will go away as soon as you pull tne trigger and won't hurt a thing!