Restarting reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RCGUIDRY, Dec 1, 2008.

1. RCGUIDRY

RCGUIDRY New Member

Its been years but I am about to restart reloading. Question, Is a progressive loader any good for rifle reloads? Any other tips would be appreciated
  2. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

I all but gave up using the progressive on rifle, Too damn many things to watch at one time. after seeing a guy at the range get a bullet stuck in his barrel, from a "squib" I thought about how it would feel to hammer a slug out of one of my match barrels. Went back to single stage, sure it's longer, but no more messes to clean up, or wonder how many rounds ago, the powder measure went dry.
  3. RCGUIDRY

RCGUIDRY New Member

thanks, I did not think so but was curios. May try a progressive for my 45 if i decide to reload for it. Thinking about the Hornady classic press, any ideas? I did have a rock chukker (rcbs )before.
  4. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

I use a piggyback on my rock chucker. Don't know about the Hornady, except, they make very good handgun bullets. Won't discourage you on the progressive. My only advice, use a "Heavy" powder, One that takes a lot of grains for a regular load. so that if there are questions about if a charge got dropped, your scale can help you out. and lastly, buy a 3/8 inch hardwood dowel cut into 8 inch piece, and keep in your shooting bag. I never shoot reloads from my progressive without it. only used it three times in my life, but after having to pack up and leave the range after two mags, the first time. I don't leave home with out it!
  5. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

PS if you are looking for a head to head comparison, put the names in the title of another thread, Something like,

Dillon vs. hornady, which is better.

Owners will come flocking.
  6. RCGUIDRY

RCGUIDRY New Member

Great Idea, and thanks for the input fellas.
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

I love my Dillion for rifles.

RC welcome to the forum.
    If you don't mind me asking where are you from.
    Guidry sure looks cajun to me. ;) :D

Art
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I reload over 30 different cartridges on my Dillon RL550B Progressive press. Rifle rounds are no problem on the Dillon. But I have had progressive presses that were the problem described by FJF0311. It was not the Dillon but the Lee Progressive and an earlier model of the Hornady shotgun progressive press (junk, by the way, both the Lee Progressive and the earlier Hornady Progressive shotgun press).

With the Dillon RL550B, which has manual advance of the table and not automatic, any screw up is easily and quickly rectified. The auto advance mechanisms offers no advantage to me at all and I actually despise it.

The Dillon RL550B design has been around for over 20 years, and has been updated along the way. My specific press is over 20 years old and has been update several times for free by Dillon and rebuilt twice by them when it wore out, all for free. Hard to beat that. Hornady has been through at least two completely different designs of progressive presses and RCBS is on at least their third example. Both these companies current designs look very much like my Dillon RL550B press whereas earlier exampes do not.

LDBennett
  9. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

Here is a comparison between Dillon, Lee and Hornady progressive presses: http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

The Hornady and RCBS progressives are more similar to the Dillon 650 than the 550: 5 stations so you can add a powder check or lock-out die to detect double or missed charges, and auto-indexing (optional on the RCBS), so there's one less thing to remember to do each step. Double and missed charges are less likely on an auto-indexing press, but like LDBennet said, it is easier to back up and fix things on a manually indexed press like the RCBS or Dillon 550.

If you have differing processes for rifle rounds of the same caliber, it is easier to swap individual dies on the Hornady than either RCBS or Dillon, for things like FL/neck/shoulder bump dies, etc. You can easily remove all but one die for batch processing (i.e. full length sizing before you trim and/or other case prep). If you tend to only load one way for each cartridge, the RCBS or Dillon tool head approach is more convenient for changing all the dies at once, especially with the Dillon if you purchase a separate powder measure for each tool head. The RCBS progressive mounts the powder measure directly to the frame, with the rest of the dies in a tool head. The Hornady and RCBS progressives have better powder measures for extruded rifle powders if you choose to use them. They all perform well with ball powders. The RCBS and Hornady powder measures offer easily changed metering inserts (so you can swap preset inserts for each cartridge or powder load) and easily resettable micrometer inserts if you want. The Hornady powder measure can also be moved to other stations to support different loading operations, whereas the Dillon 650/550 powder measure cannot. You can also do that on the RCBS, but it means moving the powder measure from the frame-mounted station to a tool head station.

Changing primer sizes is about the same on the Hornady and the 550, but much more involved on the 650. Some 650 users purchase an entire extra priming subsystem to make it easier to change over. I think the RCBS primer system changeover is similar to the Hornady and 550.

Hornady has recently improved their case ejection system to the new EZject system. It looks like they are holding the same or even slightly less cost for the improved presses. There is a charge to upgrade an older press with the new case ejector.

Hope this helps,

Andy
  10. RCGUIDRY

RCGUIDRY New Member

Yes, I cannot tell a lie. But I am a refugee,(originally from Henderson/Breaux Bridge) live in Texas now. But go back to God's country often.
  11. RCGUIDRY

RCGUIDRY New Member

Thanks for the input fellas
  12. artabr

artabr New Member

I figured as much. :D
    Most of my family is from St. Martinville. I'm in New Iberia. :)

Art
  13. RCGUIDRY

RCGUIDRY New Member

Nice to hear from you Art. Not to far from New Iberia, just across the state line in Jasper county, north of Vidor. C'ya around