restoring a 22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by gun-nut, Oct 27, 2011.

1. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I am restoring a j stevens 22 crack shot-26 for a friend of mine. looking for some picks of this gun to know how the blueing looked when they were new. And is this considered as a rolling block or a falling block? It looks to be in working order. I have personally magnifluxed the bbl. There are no defects. I was just nosy to find imfo on this gun. Its a fine looking toy. And what brand of ammo would be best to use in it? I know that CCI stingers will be to hot to use. And i was thinking that the supper X winchester might be too hot as well. Thanks in advance.;)
  2. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Rust-brown was the old style of bluing.
    There are Plum-Brown Birchwood-Casey kits that give the same look.
    Follow Their Directions Precisely!!!

If you go with a Cold Blue, there are a few things to know to get a good looking finish.

First...Prep Prep Prep Prep Prep...and then Prep some more. Be as OCD as Monk about Prep.
    Good enough, ain't enough, not for cold blues. Its gotta be dang-near Perfect.
    The more prep you do, the better the finished result.

Second, do it in a WARM room. The warmer the better. Cold is your enemy with cold blues...strangely enough.
    You'll want an 80+ degree room...constantly warm...it helps the bluing to soak in better (don't ask me why, I ain't no scientist).

Third, apply liberally...its the only thing I do in a liberal style ;) Put plenty on.

Fourth, after a few days of letting the the bluing/browning stuff do its thing, smother it in Cosmoline,
    and stick it in a storage bag for a few months in a relatively warm room.
    That helps the bluing/browning cure nicely.
  3. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Thanks! The guy wants it blued so so much for the oringinal finnish. thing. but hay i love the browning tip that will help in the future projects.
  4. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

well the gun is done and the guy was impressed. i did shoot just a few shorts in it and wow! I wish i owned it. If i would have been smart i should have took a few picks. But the man gave me another gun. Its and TOPPER 48 H&R 12 Gage. I found out that he pay just a few bucks for them at a garage sale. they were in a sheet wraped up in some laydies an attic for the past 30 years. Her husband been dead for them 30 years. So ya they are a mess, rust in every place you can think of. But hay thats the kind of things i like to do. Someone is got to give them a 2nd life.:D
  5. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Gun-nut, I like bringing them back from the dead almost as much as shooting them! I can relate.
  6. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Ya! Its lots of fun. Thats how i got my collection to grow. I ran the gun shows and picked guns up at " hay give me 50.00 for the junk" so i grab it and a week latter they were fixed and shooting. Its funny how so many people walk by them beat up rusted thing and dont look back at it and say just a little work and it will be a fine shooter for play time. I did a trade back last winter and got a Norinco T54 9mm that needs the extractor and spring. Just got to get my butt in gear and call Gun Parts and order the parts.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

8. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Thanks jack;)
  9. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

10. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Cold Bluing;

I wash the gun with rubbing alcohol to make sure its squeeky clean.

Then i go over the complete ara to be cold blues with 0000 steelwool to remove any small burrs that maybe present.

Then the metal needs to be heated, i use a hair dryer but laying it in the hot sun will work too. Then i apply a few coats of cold bluing and repeat the process till its the color depthness i want. While its wet with each coat of cold bluing i rub the metal with 0000 steelwool to work the bluing into the metal more too. For some reason the bluing doesn't always attach itself to the metal unless we work it into with 0000 steelwool.
    Remember to keep the metal warm too. Bill