Retiring Marine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodnut, Sep 4, 2011.

1. RodinKy

RodinKy New Member

Sure with I were that talented, very nice work Woodnut!
  2. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

Any Sherwin Williams store should have it-you do need to shoot it, any automotive paint gun should work, you can get a reasonably priced one at any tool store or home improvement. If you happen to have a an HVLP, thats even better, less over spray and waste. I'm not sure about using it for grips, it is awesome for furniture, chests, etc. Make sure you use good breathing protection, a high quality mask is a must. Make sure you mix the laquer up well before using the solids will settle to the bottom and looks like melted ice cream. mix it in good with a paddle on a drill, you will definitely see a difference in the transparency of the liquid, much more opaque once stirred well. Also will give a harder and more durable finish. Rule of thumb,
    the higher the gloss, the harder the finish. I'v sprayed several coats of gloss and the shot a couple coats of satin, makes a tough,low sheen finish. shoot 2 coats, sand with 220, shoot again, sand with 220, shoot a final coat and rub out with steel wool-4 ought or 0000. A little practice and you'll shoot it like a pro in no time.
  3. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Thanks mncarpenter, I have a spray gun, it is an automotive one but a good one. I used to spray cars years ago. So I know what you are talking about. Thanks on the info about Sherwin Williams there is a store near here I will check it our Tuesday. I don't think it would be worth the time and trouble to do it on grips, but it sounds great for furniture. I have a Book shelve Wine rack combo to build for an existing opening. I may use this to finish the portion that will show once it is shoved into place. It will mount beside a brick chimney, I know this is hard for you to visualize but it will look real nice once in place.
    Thanks again for the information on the finish.
  4. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/PreCat_Lacquer_Basics.html

Heres a link to some basics-Woodnut, I built cabinets and furniture in my own shop for several years, and a lot of my own furniture and furniture for family, everything from Stickley to Queene Anne, including Queene Anne chairs. Most recent was a a king sized Stickley styled headboard, with a total of 60-some dovetails, from mahogany I rescued from a job site(leftover 5/4 aprox 100 bd ft). I love free wood...:D
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

SEMPER FI ! That looks great!
  6. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Very good work Carl
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Nice job, Carl. That really looks good.
  8. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Carl,
    Another finish you may want to look into is "Target Coating". They are based in New Jersey and you will have to order from them, but it is an excellent product. It's a water based lacquer. I recently built a BR stock and used this product and it turned out pretty good. You can brush it on or spray it. I used a cheap airbrush.

[​IMG]
  9. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

bama:
    What about drying time? Ya'll realize I am in a very humid area and drying is a very big problem for me.
  10. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Carl, I'm in Pensacola Fl. so humidity is a problem for me too. The Target finish dries enough in 20 min.to recoat. What I did was spray using an air brush three coats then wait untill the next day and add three more coats. This system would probably work really well on your grips. I had a problem with the finish "milking up" but that went away after it dried. Oh yes, very nice job on the footlocker.:thumbsup:
    I had never used an airbrush but that thing is really the cats meow. $10 from Harbor Freight.

("EM 6000 Production Lacquer" is the product I used)
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  11. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Great work, Carl! But then, we would expect nothing less. :)
  12. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Fine work and a fine tribute.
  13. CaliPharmD

CaliPharmD New Member

Absolutely beautiful! A great work of art to give tribute to a hero!
  14. The Duke

The Duke New Member

BE-UTE-TI-FUL....Super nice job...
  15. viper7342

viper7342 New Member

That's one beautiful work of art, I'm sure the Marine it was made for will appreciate and cherish it for the rest of his life.