The Firearms Forum banner

Revelation 100 22 bolt action from Western Auto Supply company

30K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
Hi. I am new to this forum. I am hoping that someone might be able to help me learn more about my latest addition to our family of firearms? I picked up a Revelation 100 which seems to have been sold through Western Auto Supply company. I believe it was made by Mossberg as a 321 maybe. There is no serial number, and as far as I can tell, it was possibly manufactured between 1905 and 1960. I have suspicions that it was made in the 30s. It still looks new, although the scope does not seem to be original. It also has rear sights, so it was not likely to have been shipped with a scope and the scope was added later. It also has a safety so that when you load it, the bolt kicks the safety on. From what I heard, that was something that was done for teaching boy scouts when the BSA was using them.
I cannot find any documents for this gun, or anything to go with it to tell the story of how it came along. I would love it if anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.
I'll try to attach a couple pictures.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Here is some easy instructions for posting pictures.

The easiest format to work with for posting is jpg. You will need to use the software that came with your digital camera to transfer the pictures to the hard drive of your computer. Once it's on your computer, you may need to resize the picture so that it won't be so huge once it's posted. You should be able to use your digital camera software for that as well. I like to keep my pics down to 400 pixels wide unless I'm really trying to show a lot of detail.

Once you have the picture onto your computer and sized, you will come here and compose your post as always. Below the box where you type your post, you will see an area called Additional Options. Within that area is a section called Attach Files, with a button that says Manage Attachments. When you click on that button, it opens a new window. In that window you will use the Browse button to find the file on your hard drive that you want to attach. After you have found your file, click the Upload button. It may take a few moments for the picture to upload, depending on the size and your connection speed. Once it is uploaded, you will see the name in the section Current Attachments. Click the button labeled Close This Window to come back to the main window. Click the Submit Reply button, and you're done.

It takes a lot of words to describe what is actually accomplished in a few mouse-clicks, so don't let the length of my description discourage you.

#4 ·
Keep Calm
I collect old 22 rifles, you picked up a gem. My favorite 22 rifle I have is an old Westen Auto model 110 (Marlin model 81) that I picked up at a pawn shop for $50. It just feels right and I can hit the primer of a shotgun shell with it. I have somewhere around thirty 22 caliber rifles, if I was given a choice of only one to keep, it would be this Western Auto tube-fed bolt-action. I like it better then the Winchesters, Remingtons, Mossbergs the one Browning and the other brands of rifles I have.

You'll like your new addition, money well spent.

#5 ·
Yep, according to my cross-reference chart, the Western Auto model 100 was a Mossberg 321.

The Boy Scout rifle was a 320B. Leastways, the one my brother has, that was bought from Spanish Trails Scout Reservation, is a 320B. :D

Single-shot bolt action and the safety comes on every time you work the bolt. Sweet gun. Wish I had one.

#9 ·
Yep, according to my cross-reference chart, the Western Auto model 100 was a Mossberg 321.

The Boy Scout rifle was a 320B. Leastways, the one my brother has, that was bought from Spanish Trails Scout Reservation, is a 320B. :D

Single-shot bolt action and the safety comes on every time you work the bolt. Sweet gun. Wish I had one.
[/QUOTE

I just picked up a cherry one, disabled that safety on every time with a shot and true oiled it up. Mine has not been shot much, if at all.

#6 ·
I have one. And have owned several of the same Mossberg models over the years. These rifles are tack drivers. In fact the one I currently own is the only rifle I have scoped for long range shooting.
A note on the Safety. If you ever attempt to disassemble the safety, be aware that some are made with VERY TINY ball bearing that the mech "rolls" on as it moves. And if you don't that they are there, upon disassembly they can fall out. And in my experience there is 99.9% chance that they will be forever lost. Later models incorporated a dimple design that eliminated the ball bearing.

#7 · (Edited)
The Revelation line was sold by Western Auto as you say. I'm not sure it crosses over exactly to a Mossberg 321 since Mossberg didn't always make their store brand rifles exactly the same as their regular line.

Your pictures don't show the sights which would help.

Yours might be closer to a Mossberg 320B or a 320K, the sights tell the story.

Your dates are off and there is no way it was made in the 1930's, the Mossberg 321B was made 1972-1975. Serial Numbers weren't required until 1968, so we know it was made before '68.

The 321K made 1972 -1980.

The 320B "Boy Scout" Range rifle was made 1960 -1971 and the 320K was made 1958 -1960 and the 320K-A made 1960 - 1968.

Without more pictures of the rifle I can't tell you exactly which model it is but with no Serial Number it can't be a 321 since none of the 321 models were made before 1968.

#10 ·
The '68 Gun Control Act wasn't enacted until October, so if the gun was made before then, there is a possibility that it will not have a serial number.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.