Review- Comp-tac Mtac Holster

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dirtypacman, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Comp-tac Mtac Minotaur Holster review being used with my Ruger SR9c

First off the price was comparable to most higher quality IWB holsters ($85 - not bad). Nice formed leather can cost a few bucks, on top of that the preformed shell is made directly for you carry gun of choice. As I had a supertuck for my other carry piece I was partial to them to start. The biggest difference I noticed right off the bat was the plastic not metal belt clips. At first I was not thrilled with that design but as I had heard good things about the holster I proceeded to put that in the back of my mind to start. I am using the standard clips that come with the holster. After a little bit of adjustment to find the right depth and ease of pull from the holster I was ready to start carrying.

Upon first putting the gun and holster on I felt it needed a bit of a break-in. Not uncommon for new leather so I figured give it 2 solid weeks and see how it felt. After only about 10 days of daily wear I felt the holster started to become more comfortable. There was no issues of the leather or gun rubbing up against my skin irritating me. There was also no "squeak" something again quite common for IWB using metal parts. Well its now been several months and the leather has kept its form very well and even further molded to my body. It concealed very well. I tend to tuck in my shirts and wear a uniform daily M-F which you would be hard pressed to know I was carrying. When I left un-tucked it still did a fine job but printing was a bit more of an issue when using something like a small t-shirt.

The biggest complaint I have about the holster is the belt clip screws that attach to the leather has had to be tightened on 2 different occasions. They have never failed or came out but certainly loose enough that it could have. One of the retention screws that holds down the shell also had come loose about 6-8 weeks into wearing it. Just something to check on a weekly basis, which does not please me but also does not concern me too much. So if I was to fault anything on the design of this holster is its use of screws that can come loose on their own. I have thought about using some loc-tite but have not done so as of yet.

After wearing it daily for the last 3 months or so I can say I am impressed with the quality of the leather, compared to supertuck leather this stuff is just a bit better quality. You will see some slight wear on the holster from seating and unseating the gun. Other then that it looks like it was just purchased. For the cost of the holster and the small complaints I have my total score would be a 8 out of 10. If I did not have to re-tighten the screws I would but it around 9 out of 10.

And of course no review is good without the photos:

[​IMG]
    No holster wear on the gun so far - just figured I would show.

[​IMG]
    SR9c all nice and snug

[​IMG]
    3 months or so of daily wear and it looks almost brand new still

[​IMG]
    small amount of wear on the leather, expected

[​IMG]
    reverse side of holster - leather is nice and shows a bit of the molding to my body that has happened over time

[​IMG]
    In action nice concealment

[​IMG]
    action #2 again good concealment

[​IMG]
    If you were looking real close still hard to spot

Hope you found this review helpful on your quest for a concealment holster.
  2. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

Good review. I've carried a Glock 27 in one for about a year and second your observations. A dab of loctite helps.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  3. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Great review. alot of good info thanks.
  4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Good review. I also use a MTAC but mine is a netrual for a appendix carry wirth a akhr. ver well made and as nice as they are new they get een better with time.
  5. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I plan on trying the loctite next time I have to tighten them down. I just have not gotten around to it. Glad you guys found the review helpful.