Review - Kahr PM9 (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Just One Shot, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

Here's the newest addition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To get an idea of the size I took some photos of the PM9 along side my LCP as well as my M&P .40 Compact and my Para CCW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the PM9 is real small for a 9mm. I purchased a pocket holster for it and it looks like I'm carrying a wallet when I put it in the front pocket of my jeans. It will probably conceal even better in a pair of dress or cargo pants.

Now for the range report. Kahr recomends a 200 rd. minimum to break in the PM9 before CCing it so I took Fri. afternoon off work and went to the range. I took 100 rds. of cheap Wolf 9mm and 100 rds. of some Winchester white box range ammo to get the job done right away.

During the break in I had 1 fail to feed and that was on the Wolfe brand. I took the final 13 rds. of the Winchester and 2 fresh targets to see how accurate the little gun might be. One was at 5 yards and the other at 7 yards. I was standing shooting 2 handed with no support.

5 yards:

[​IMG]

7 yards:

[​IMG]

You notice the round in the 9 ring in the 5 yard target and the lower left corner of the 7 yard target. That's the shooters fault not the gun. I yanked on the trigger on the first round of each mag. Once I get use to the dual action trigger I hope to prevent this from happening again.

Over all I really like how compact the PM9 is. Accuracy was better than I expected on the first trip out with a new gun. The craftmanship is superb which one one expect on a gun of this price ($650.00 out the door for me).

Bottom line is, if you are looking for something small enough to pocket carry and prefer something with a little more power than the .380s that are out there, you might want to take a closer look at the Kahr PM9.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

A good looking gun and good shooting, except for that first round.:rolleyes::D
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

How much did the Kahr run you-650.00? That seems a little much. Am I alone on that one ?Like the size of it.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

It's not that far off. Bud's has them for $610.00 + the transfer $25.00 = $635.00 The price I paid was tax and everything. It was something like 637.00 before tax.

I purchased it at a local gun store that I've been supporting, it's run buy a good guy with great service. I'm willing to pay a little extra to see him make it work.
  5. willywonka

willywonka New Member

That's a very good idea! I like Bud's, especially for using as a reference and window shopping, but for me I've got to drive quite a ways to find a gun shop, so I try to support it whenever I can.
  6. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

A good gun shop is hard to find. The guy I deal with will do his best match Bud's (or any mail order) price combined with his transfer fee of $25.00 (which is the cheapest in the area) + tax. That combined with a great attitude and good service makes me want to see his business succeed.

He's new in the area and isn't a authorized dealer for all the brands yet, so there are some lines he can't match to the penny. But, he is a least willing to order anything he can get and he will do his best to get as close to the price as possible. You can't ask a guy to do anymore than that.
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

What i would like to know is if it cycles hollow points reliably? I thought 1911s were the cats meaw until i switched from ball to hollow points and discovered their finicky nature with "real" ammo and not the "practice/target" stuff.

mike
    gn
  8. hihosilver13

hihosilver13 New Member

I paid $539+tax for my pm9. (tucson az)
    I have about 300 rounds through it, and it has never failed to fire or eject. I used some ball ammo to break it in, but now only shoot and carry hollow points. They work great!
  9. camper10

camper10 New Member

My PM9 loves Gold Dot and Golden Saber ammo.
  10. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Sweet looking Kahr, far better looking than my CW40, but I still love it.
  11. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

I'm picking up my next Kahr tonight (Veterans Day) in the form of a CW45.
    :)
  12. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    At bench rest, I've consistently put bullets through the same holes at seven yards with mine. Same with the K9 and T9. They come sighted-in from the factory, none of this "if it shoots groups, then it passes QA" stuff. However, they use the traditional (revolver) sight picture, not the "combat" sight picture like Sigs & Glocks. So if you get one and it seems to shoot high, it's because of your sight picture, not the gun.
  13. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I'm partial to Federal, HST & Hydrashok, have used Winchester (whatever they call their "defensive" ammo), and Remington golden saber. Never had a problem. Though, when the K9 was new, it tended to partially crush cartridge cases on the way out the port. Now that the spring is relaxed a bit, it's perfect.
  14. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Deleted...
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  15. Jmedwards1

Jmedwards1 New Member

Can anyone tell me what the warranty is on the Kahr?