Revolver Carry

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Slimslam, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

While I've got MONTHS (!) before I receive my CPL, so I thought I'd get some respectable opinions on a coupla issues. I've narrowed my first carry firearm to be a 5-shot .38 revolver. It's between the all steel 640 (23 oz) and the lighter 642 (15 oz) (both Smiths). Gonna toss a coin purdy soon......Any insight to either? Which holsters or conceal products would be best for each? Thanks.
    ss
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I carry the Ti Smith in a Kramer pocket or a Ken Null ANK ankle rig. Both forms of carry work great for me and the 38 goes everywhere with me. Great pocket protection so to speak.
  3. Neil

Neil New Member

I have the smith 442 and I have it in my pocket but would like another option. Cylinders are kinda hard on my boney hips so I think IWB is out of the question for me
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  4. jcinlargo

jcinlargo New Member

In my experience, lighter is always better. When you fire a gun in "action" (not practice, but real stress) you will not notice ANY recoil. You are much more likely to carry a 15oz gun than a 24oz gun due to the comfort. The one time you say "That thing is a little uncomfortable, I don't need it today" may be YOUR last day.

Carry something comfortable, no matter what it is.

(I prefer a loaded blonde!) :)
  5. Opt for the lighter weapon in my opinion, Slim. I've carried a Smith 637 for quite some time now, and it's almost like I'm not wearing a handgun. I think comfort is an issue we too often overlook when choosing a CCW weapon. If the permit holder can't wear it comfortably he or she is all too likely to leave it at home, human nature being what it is. That could have quite negative implications for one's continued existence! :eek:
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have a Smith Model 60 with a 1 7/8 barrel that makes a fine carry gun when not carrying a 1911 or Browning Hi Power. It fits nicely in my oxygen tank carrier with no bulk of any kind. It is one of the older models in ,38 Special.
  7. rmeron

rmeron New Member

I carry a regular S&W model 36 in a Bell Charter Oak IWB.I also have a HighNoon TailGunner with clip on order.
    I don't find the extra weight a problem,it kinda helps with recoil.
  8. navyvet

navyvet New Member

Go for it i carry a S&W model 29-2 .44 mag. one shot stop fo sho :p