The Firearms Forum banner

Revolver conversion cylinders

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Hawg 
#1 ·
Just wondering about conversion cylinders for blackpowder revolvers.Are they worth getting?I have both Colt and Remington revolvers and would try the Remington first in .45 colt.What is your experience with them,Thank You.

#3 ·
Are you talking about shooting something like a .45APC in a .45 caliber revolver?

#5 ·
Conversion cylinders have been around for a while -
The only problem I see is the guys that try to fire regular smokeless cartridges in a revolver designed for BP only; that is setting yourself up for learning to live using only your off hand -
Using BP or 'cowboy' loads, there does not seem to be an issue -

#6 ·
There are some cautions, though -
Never dry-fire it with the conversion cylinder installed without having snap-caps in the chambers.
There have been some issues of insufficient firing pin striking force causing misfires and hangfires.

#8 ·
Howell makes five and six shot cylinders in .45 Colt. The six shot cylinders have the chambers angled slightly. That's the only way to make six .45 Colt cartridges fit. Kirst in .45 Colt are all five shot. Kirst also makes one with a loading gate and an ejector assembly.

#9 ·
I recently converted my Pietta 1851 Colt Navy using the Kirst converter. Using .38 Long Colt blackpowder ammo, I have found it to be accurate and fun to shoot. BP or cowboy loads are available, but can be expensive. Reloading, using GOEX or Pyrodex and hollow based bullets will make it substantially cheaper. Keep in mind, however, that the cost of the converter is close to the original cost of the Pietta. For that amount of money, you could easily get a modern SA revolver capable of using modern loads.

#10 ·
I thank everyone for your replies and input and hope to get more on the subject.I do own several modern revolvers along with more than several blackpowder revolvers pistols and rifles and shotguns but I hate paperwork if you catch my drift

#16 ·
Well, I was asking because I used to cast .45 caliber round balls for a BP pistol that was supposedly a .44?? That was years and years ago when I was a mere child!!:D :D I was curious and it is why I mentioned .451 and .429 cause we all know that .44s are .429.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.