The Firearms Forum banner

Revolver For Big Hand

11K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  Zigzag2 
G
#1 ·
griz
(10/25/01 10:53:57 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Revolver For Big Hand
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Number two son needs a double action revolver. Would like to get him one for Christmas. Problem is, he is a lot bigger than I am - 6'4" and has way bigger hands than I do. So, I am at somewhat of a loss as to what to get him that would fit those big ol' hands of his. Any big hand guys out there have some ideas? All suggestions most appreciated...Thanks in advance.

PS: If you have a web site to look at that would be nice too.

AntiqueDr
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(10/26/01 6:32:26 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Revolver For Big Hand
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have a caliber, brand preference or price range?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
(10/26/01 8:58:00 am)
One of the "N" frame Smith & Wessons come to mind. If you're looking for a large bore handgun, something like a Model 629.

But......you can turn almost any revolver into a "hand-filler" by going with larger, aftermarket grips.

M Opaliski
(10/26/01 9:48:49 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Revolver For Big Hand
Smith&Wesson Model 657 chambered in .41 Magnum, perhaps with an 8 3/8" Bbl.

What will be the primary use?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Support your RKBA ... Matthew
NRA Life Member
Talk Radio Junkie
opaliski@hotmail.com
TheFirearmsEnthusiast

44rugerfan
V.I.P. Member
(10/26/01 2:22:47 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Revolver For Big Hand
Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk would fit the bill. I would stay away from the Taurus Raging Bull line, two guys I know complained about their pinky hanging over the grip. I have also heard good things about the Dan Wesson line.
The Trademark Of Reliability

Bob In St Louis
(10/26/01 8:21:09 pm)
I wanted a short barrel revolver, and got a S&W Model 66 with a 2.5" barrel. The standard grips are small, so I put S&W finger grooved target grips on it. The gun fits my hand nicely now, plus it still remains a rather concealable .357 Mag.

As someone said above, you can take just about any revolver and get replacement grips to fit your hand - the main thing to concentrate on is your caliber choice and barrel length.
Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

griz
(10/26/01 9:16:02 pm)
Sorry, should have been more specific...was thinking of medium frame, double action, revolver in .357 mag, with 4 inch barrel to be used for home protection and vehicle carry, with some occasional CCW. Something in that $350-$400 price range - like Ruger GP100 series or Taurus 65 or 66. Whatdya think?

AntiqueDr
(10/26/01 9:26:36 pm)
The Taurus 65 and 66 were old K-frame style revolvers. Old news. Consider the Taurus 608. 8-shot .357 Magnum. Available in blue or stainless with a 4" ribbed barrel, optional factory porting, lifetime warranty. N-frame size gun, like the S&W 27. We sell 'em in blue for $389., stainless for $429.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
(10/27/01 8:17:56 am)
There you go! I am a semi-auto man myself, but if I was to go back and buy another revolver, I have been looking at the Taurus 608. Neat guns.
Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

loader44
V.I.P. Member
(10/27/01 6:17:54 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del hand cannon
I own three of the Taurus hand cannons, just baught my wife a new 357 model 605, I also own the 608 ( 8 shot ) and the 44mag ( ragging bull ) my hands are pretty big and don't have a problem at all. For the money I don't know of many better, have had no plrblems with them at all. Wife loves to shoot the 357, if your son is that big, you might try a 41mag or the 44 sprc , 44mag. I like Taurus, and Dan Wesson, but prefer Taurus. jmtcw.

zombiedawg
V.I.P. Member
(10/28/01 8:10:39 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: hand cannon
I like my Taurus Raging Bull, but I must have girly hands as they don't come near hanging off the grip.
RANGE ME

WyomingSwede
(10/29/01 5:26:11 am)
I know that this isnt politically correct but a S&W N frame in .44 might be your ticket, Also I have big hands, a ruger blackhawk in .357 with some oversize Pachmayr grips might fill the bill more economically. regards swede
Wyoming Swede

AGunguy
(11/17/01 12:34:11 pm)
OK, I've got thick hands with regular size fingers in length, try and find yourself a Colt Anaconda .44 magnum with some Pachmyer rubber grips. Then fill yer hand you sonofagun.

Gunguy

gpostal
(11/18/01 12:04:56 pm)
I wear large to extra large gloves ,but I still like a smaller grip I have secret service grips on my S&W model 629 and reg factory grips on my astral 29 clone ,and I cant stand them

my point is I would buy the gun around the gun and let him custom fit it ,you would eliminate your problem

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.