Revolver/Pistol Shotshell Ammo Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by deinonychus75, Apr 6, 2004.

1. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Does anyone know if shotshell ammunition can be harmful to pistol or revolver barrels?

Deon
  2. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

Are you refering to "snake" shot? If so I use the CCI stuff to control critters around here and it's effective and appears not to affect the gun.

I hope that answers your question. If not give us some more info.

Smokt the snaker
  3. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Yes I was referring to "snake" shot. Thanks for the information!

Deon
  4. ACC

ACC New Member

deonc

DO NOT attempt to use that as a self defense round!!!!!!!!!! It will only piss the assailant off!:)
    :D
    C&RAMMO
  5. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

LOL! I wouldn't dare. I was considering it as a camping companion in snake territory this summer. I don't think I will be able to use it in my S&W 686 though, since it's ported. I'm looking around for an affordable carry gun in .357. I know I'm off subject here, but I've considered Taurus (heard mixed reviews about them) but they're in my price range. I just blew some of my carry gun funds on a Yugo M59/66 SKS because it was on sale for $149, so now I'll have to work a little harder and wait a little longer. :)

Deon
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  6. frosty

frosty New Member

I make my own.

THE FOLLOWING WILL PENETRATE,....... BE CAREFULL WHAT IS BEHIND THE TARGET YOU ARE AIMING AT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a .38 spl or .357 mag case put a primer in it, magnum is o.k.
    4.0 grains of Red dot or your favorite load for your revolver.

Now take a cotton ball and tear off a small piece and push it down into the case. Now take some lead shot or some of the copper plated BB's for a BB gun (dont use the steel BB's as they are bad mojo for the barrel) count out 6 to 8 of them.

Now take another piece of cotton and push in down on top nice and tight.

This will blow holes in a 5 gallon bucket. Filled with dirt.

The cases showed no signs of high pressure problems or primer problems when I examined them after fireing.

I have tried using wax as a final plug on top of the final piece of cotton. This helped build some pressure and worked very well.

REMEMBER DO ALL OF THIS VERY CAREFULLY AND WITH EYE PROTECTION.

Maximum effective range was about 8 yards with good penetration.

Under 5 yards......................it is deadly for snakes.

Oh, yeah it is a hell of a lot better to roll your own pistol/shot shells

One other thing some of these have sat out on my bench for over 2 months with out any ill effects on the powder and their performance.
  7. ACC

ACC New Member

Stay away from the taurus pistols!!!!!! I've seen to many of them break the keys off of the new trigger system, and, the hammer hangs up because of it. Go used with out the new internal trigger lock.
  8. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I bought the blue snake load capsules made by Speer. I think you get 20 capsules per box, or something like that. They make them in .38/.357, .44 and .45 caliber. I loaded these capsules with BBs, and then some #12 shot. I followed the instructions on the back of the box for powder charges. They work great on beer cans, but no snakes so far.
  9. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

I have the .22 cal and the 357. The 22 works fine for most rattlers. I had a 3ft one coming through the doggie door last fall and he just refused to leave so was left with no choice but to shoot him. I shot from about 10ft with the 22 and it did the job. Those little BB's however do scatter badly on concrete and brick.

Smoky the charmer