The Firearms Forum banner

Revolver Pride

5K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  Zigzag2 
G
#1 ·
M Opaliski
(3/23/01 12:04:17 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All Revolver Pride
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone out there got a revolver thay are keen on ... or would like to be keen on.

I am hunting a certain Smith&Wesson "Iditarod" Commemerative. It is a model 629, stainless, 6" bbl. beautiful piece.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Support your RKBA ... Matthew
NRA Life Member
Talk Radio Junkie
opaliski@hotmail.com
TheFirearmsEnthusiast

TallTLynn
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(3/23/01 12:09:00 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Revolver Pride
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew,

Still looking for a .38 S&W that was used by the San Diego cops (cause that's what had been put on the gun). Lost mine in the last relation blowup and it didn't make it out with me. Standard issue w/6" barrel (yeah it was a 6" barrel).

Everyone I've seen so far on the net - they want way too much money for (in my humble opinion).

M Opaliski
(3/23/01 12:22:33 am)
There is one out there for you lady ... find it. What is your range ... I too will look around.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Life Member
Talk Radio Junkie
opaliski@hotmail.com
TheFirearmsEnthusiast

Alphamale
(3/23/01 12:36:05 am)
Ruger Blackhawk .357 loaded with 158gr Georgia Arms Deer Stopper. Still ain't got the chance to stop a deer with it. Maybe this year
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

TallTLynn
(3/23/01 12:42:09 am)
Between $200-$300. At least right now. Got a few more debts to pay (gun debts and IRS) before I want to go any higher for a used .38 revolver. But believe me for that one I would.

Xracer
(3/24/01 11:49:55 am)
I've got sweet little Smith Model 49 in .38 Special with Pachmayr grips. Makes a nice "shorts & tee shirt" carry gun.

Tac401
Administrator
(3/24/01 2:05:20 pm)
I just love my S&W pre-contract Mod 60.

Tac
The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Edited by: Tac401 at: 3/24/01 2:06:48 pm

Bob In St Louis
(3/24/01 2:38:59 pm)
S&W Model 66, 2.5" barrel.
Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

M Opaliski
(3/25/01 9:06:16 am)
Closet Smith lovers ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Life Member
Talk Radio Junkie
opaliski@hotmail.com
TheFirearmsEnthusiast

AntiqueDr
(3/26/01 10:29:33 am)
Hell, I've got a closet FULL of Smith's.

I believe my favorite is my S-series pre-29. No. My 1950 Target. No. My M58. No.

Ah, hell...

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
[link]www.apaxenterprises.com[/link]

FLOYDRAMBO
(4/9/01 1:47:07 pm)
SW PERFORMANCE CENTER 44MAG HUNTER/Leupold 4x...ITS A STOPPER!!!!

M Opaliski
(4/9/01 10:09:15 pm)
The Model 629-1 "Iditarod Comemmerative" is in route to Delaware ... next.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Life Member
Talk Radio Junkie
opaliski@hotmail.com
TheFirearmsEnthusiast

Kdubya
(4/10/01 5:35:37 pm)
For the sheer pleasure of shooting and hearing a big "Boom", sure like my 3 screw Ruger .41 Mag Blackhawk (blue, of course, with ivory handles).

Have a Colt Official Police .38 spl that went to the Yalta Conference in WWII as the personal sidearm of one of Rooseveldt's bodyguards.

Usually throw my old duty gun, a S&W Mod 66, into the saddle bags when working cattle.

Ruger
Colt
S&W

I'm not real fussy, as long as they're good'uns!
Keep off the Ridgeline!!

TYRVR
(4/11/01 7:27:32 am)
I am still looking for the Hollywood Single Action Colts Revover, You know the one I mean, when loaded with six rounds, it shoots 40-50 times without having to be reloaded, or maybe some of that Hollywood ammo???

obelix2
(4/11/01 4:06:15 pm)
A further advantage of the Hollywood Colt is that you don't have to mess around with that clumsy ejection rod.

Zigzag2
(4/11/01 6:34:51 pm)
I recently sent my mdl.60 in to S&W for a laser engraving job. my ankle holster gun. I also have a S&W mdl. 29 Classic with a 5" barrel that I've not shot yet. Anyone interested?

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 4/11/01 7:37:11 pm

TallTLynn
(4/11/01 6:47:14 pm)
ZigZag - what's a model 29 Classic?

Xracer
(4/11/01 8:30:24 pm)
One of my revolvers is a WW II "Classic"..... a .455 Enfield (identical to Webley) Mk. VI, it's been adapted to take .45 ACP with half-moon clips.

It's big, heavy, ugly, and it has an abominal double action trigger....but...it's rugged, dependable and a nice single action shooter.

Anybody else have any military wheelguns?

obelix2
(4/11/01 8:39:52 pm)
Colt New Army 1901, Colt 1917, French 1892 8mm Ordnance, Enfield #2 Mk1*. I am longing for one of those big Webleys like yours, but have you seen the prices recently?

TYRVR
(4/12/01 2:22:33 am)
Speaking of High tariff military surplus revolvers, A fellow showed Yours Truly A almost Mint 1917 S&W revolver last week, it was at least 98 percent new, here is the punch line, He offered it to me for an astounding $800.00! Wow, I can recall ordering them from American Rifleman ad, for $24.95 with imitation stag grips and A holster, those were the days!

Xracer
(4/12/01 8:03:56 am)
Obelix....what're they going for now? As I recall, I paid about $50 for mine at gunshop in the late '70's.

TY....I believe in the early '60's I saw '17's selling for $15.00 in the back of the American Rifleman.....they were a bunch of New York State Police surplus guns with wooden grips. I don't recall if they were Colt's or Smith's though.

shooter45 us
*Senior Chief Moderator*
(4/12/01 8:28:07 am)
A while back , some of you may remember,I bought a used S&W 686 w/ 6" barrel and adj. front sight. It shot good but I wanted something different. I took it to Al Dichiara at Ace Systems. He added a Ron Power Custom Grand Master barrel and heavy vented underlug. Contoured the scope base to fit over the big barrel that he had cut 20 deg. slab sides on, and installed a Tasco PDP5 red dot sight. Chamfered the cylinders and did the best action job I have ever seen on a Smith. This damn thing will shoot and stay on target. It weighs 52.75oz. empty.I shoot my 1st match with it on 4/28. Then back to see Al with a S&W mod.15 to trick out.

obelix2
(4/12/01 10:34:13 am)
Xracer, thanks for making me look. I had given up some weeks ago but am currently tracking a Mk V at a reasonable price ($300), at least for the moment. My reasons for giving up are too old to find the listings. The only one I had noticed recently was a Mk II (given $550 in exc by the 2001 Standard Catalog) that closed at $850, reserve not met.

obelix2
(4/19/01 11:25:46 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Webley conversion to .45 acp
I know it's too late to ask, but I won the damn thing at the opening price. Now: Do the moonclips made for the Colts and S&Ws work with this, or do I have to search out .45 autorim?

AGunguy
(7/13/01 7:13:42 pm)
Say, antiqueDr. You wouldn't have a .44 special in your closet would you? I'm serious about buying if you want to sell. Heck, any N-frame short of the .44 magnum.

Gunguy

AGunguy
(7/13/01 7:19:34 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Webley conversion to .45 acp
I have an old S&W model 1917 in .45 acp. I use mostly the Remington .45 auto rim cartridges. If you reload you will find they are a delight to load and shoot.

But if you've got to use clips, try ranchproducts.com, they had 1/4 moon (2 round clips) to full moon clips. They even sell a device to unload the shot cases from the clips.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 7/13/01 8:21:42 pm

AntiqueDr
(7/13/01 7:28:57 pm)
Gunguy,

Yes, I have a .44 HE 1st Model in factory nickel... but it aint goin' anywhere, sorry...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
www.apaxenterprises.com

AGunguy
(7/13/01 8:42:46 pm)
Don't blame you, them that has...keeps.

Man, if I could just get some of you guys liqoured up...you might sell me one of your .44 specials.

Gunguy

AGunguy
(7/14/01 11:28:21 am)
TLynn, I probably shouldn't start talking about it, but I've got a .38 S&W Colt Police Positive (the shorter .38 crtg. not .38 special) It is with a 4 inch barrel. Has diamond checkerd wooden grips with Colt logo.

The back-strap is marked "Am Ry Express" which probably means American Railway Express.

It is a fun plinker and mine is very accurate. Had to bend the front sight a tad to get it on target, it was printing 9:00 about 5 inches off aiming point.

As much fun as it is to shoot, I wouldn't want to use it in a gunfight. Cartridge too eniemic, might as well use a .22 to duel with.

Maybe you would be interested in my other .38 S&W cartridge revolver, an H&R nickle plated 4 inch barrel breaktop. It to is a fair shooter, but could use a new hand to tighten up the cylinder a tad. Parts are available from Numerich Gun Parts. I haven't orderd one because I don't have a gunsmith around here that could change out a pair of grips.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 7/14/01 12:33:40 pm

AGunguy
(7/14/01 2:45:24 pm)
The 1917 S&W .45 acp, I just bought one off a local home dealer where I live for $200. Guess the price ain't too bad, sure beats $800. But the finish on it is not too good, but functions excellent and a good shooter.

Gunguy

TallTLynn
(7/14/01 2:57:11 pm)
Congratulations - now this is a revolver right? If it is would you care for a speed loader for it? I do believe I still have one somewhere in this bedroom.

AGunguy
(7/14/01 4:08:24 pm)
Will it hold .45 acp or .45 auto rim cartridges? That is, is it half or full moon clip, or a regular speed loader with a little knob on the end of it. Questions, questions.

And yes, this is a wheel gun, revolver...big .45 caliber in acp or auto rim.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 7/14/01 5:10:41 pm

TallTLynn
(7/14/01 5:02:47 pm)
Regular speed loader with the round thing on it (lol).

And damn you - ask questions I haven't a clue about. I'll go dig it out (my brother left it behind years ago instead of the .38 one). He doesn't own guns anymore as his wife refuses to allow them in the house

Got the one for the .38 too now but I have no intention of getting a .45 pistol only a semi when the time comes.

I'll get back to you by tomorrow (it'll take that long to figure out where I put it this time).

Bagoosh
(8/2/01 9:27:57 am)
I also have a S&W 629-1 in stainless with wood grips. Beautiful gun to look at and hold. It has a snub nose, probably 2 1/2". Sometimes I wish it had a 5 or 6" on it so I could hit a target beyond 8 yards but then I will wheel off 6 hot loads and everybody at the range turns to look at the 12 in" diameter muzzle blast spewing out of the gun like a civil war cannon. Too cool.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.