Revolver Scope Recommendations

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Quisp, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Quisp

Quisp New Member

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I am prior Air Force from 92' to 2001 and a veteran of the gulf war, bosnia, and kosovo. I just started getting into shooting this year although I was a hunter since the age of 12 but haven't been in the woods since 2002. I carry a baby eagle 9mm compact as my conceal and carry piece. I just bought an S&W 629 performance center 44 mag with a 7.5 inch barrel, she is a beauty for sure. The trigger is nothing short of awesome. Anywho I plan on using it for deer hunting and some friendly competition shooting at the range. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good all around pistol scope? Or would a dot sight be more appropriate? She has a rail mount to accommodate pretty much anything. Thanks!
  2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I use the Bushnell Edge 2-7x32 on my Dan Wesson 357 magnum. It works fine ,but I only shoot it from a rest. Pistol scopes are difficult to hold a sight picture with, especially in the woods, unless you have a rest. They do a great job within these limitations. If you have good eyesight ,I would definitely recommend a red dot or holograph site. They will put you on the target quickly. Perfect for hunting.

OH, and welcome!
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I say go BIG or go HOME. I would put a Burris 3-12x32mm Pistol scope on it.

http://swfa.com/Burris-3-12x32-Handgun-Scope-P273.aspx

That's me though. I have a ground hoggin buddy that has 4 remmy XP-100 and they all wear that burris. Makes for a good light weight 300 yards ground hog gun.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome Quisp. I have a Burris 4x that I have moved from one gun to another. It took the abuse of a Colt King Cobra in stride with out any complaint. It is now on a much milder Ruger MK III but like Permafrost says it makes for a big package and I have to prop it on something to hold steady. The red dots will make for a much lighter and more compact package but watch the size of the red dot on the scope as many are 4 or 5 MOA and that starts covering a lot of target when you stretch the yardage out. There are some with smaller dots and that is the way I would go. A lot depends on how you want to use it.
    [​IMG]
  5. Quisp

Quisp New Member

Thanks guys! I'm diggin that Ruger MK Todd, nice piece for sure, makes for a good competition option!
    I have a couple red dots that I'm not using on my AR, might mount one to see what that gives me. I'm thinking of only using the 44 mag at 50 yards or less for deer. I will hunt in PA where you can carry a revolver and a rifle for deer. Anything past 50 yard or a large buck I would probably shoulder the 308. Having many options is a good thing but I have a rough time making decisions.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ill third the burris scope. Burris makes one hell of a tough pistol scope. I had a .480 ruger revolver that I busted 2 BSA scopes, a NCSTAR red dot, and a tru glo red dot before I sucked it up and bought a burris. It took 3 rings to keep it still but It didnt bust in over 1000 rounds, then i sold the pistol for a cool new toy.
  7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

There are many dots and reflex sights can be bought with 3" down to 1" dots and tri-angles like acogs use to sight with. Not your typical 5" to 10" dots. You also don't need to be as controled with a dot/reflex as a scope has to be and shooting 3" groups at 100 yards is very real. I have 20 years of hunting with a dot sight on a 357 revolver and now with a 44mag several more. To buddies are useing 512 eotech's on there ruger srhs . Nice 1" dot