Revolver Speedloaders

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, Jul 21, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I used two types over the years, the twist type I think made by HKS and what we used to call the speed strip. I have a feeling they dont make the strips any more. They were a rubber strip which held six cartridges in line at the rim. With a little practice you could push two at a time into the cylinder chambers and with a little twist, release them. Advantages were it was flatter and more compact than the twisting drum type. Though they wore out and cracked before too long.

Any wheel gunners out there use speedloaders, and if so what type? Also, anyone else remember the speed strips?
  2. 45nut

45nut New Member

I use the twist drums. Although I don't practice it much because I mainly carry semi-auto's for my carry gun.
  3. Ursus

Ursus New Member

I do use HKS speedloaders, about speed strips never seen one around here, got several in a Miami gun shop several years ago. They're out of order.
  4. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I have a few HKS speed loaders for my model 15. I'll get a few more when I find a good N-frame .357.
  5. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

6. doug66

doug66 New Member

All mine are HKS.
  7. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

You can also have a revolver modified (or purchased w/) moonclips - which are a little faster than speedloaders - but have their downsides as well (initial expense being one...)
  8. techoca

techoca New Member

9. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I remember seeing those speed strips 20 or more years ago. They were being criticized by "expert" gun magazine writers for being slower than HKS style speedloaders.
    I use the twist style speedloaders for my one revolver, it's just got to be faster than speed strips. 6 rounds instantly dropped into the cylinder has just GOT to be faster. (I as always invite debate as it's how we make sound decisions.)
    I'll invite debate again. Full moon clips are the fastest way to reload a revolver. All 6 chambers reloaded at once. Google it and YouTube it. Fastest 12 rounds ever put on target just doesn't lie. There are tips there for the slower amongst us, including specifically me.
  10. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Disclaimer/qualifier from before the days I had speedloaders:
    First mornng (literally) I had my Redhawk, all I had was the revolver and a box of .44mag ammo. I went out to shoot it and forgot my Dad's big Shepherd mix was EXTREMELY afraid of gunfire (at the time.)
    So I blasted off about 18 rounds. Mike ran away. Fast.
    So I laid the Magnum on the table and started looking for Mike.
    I called him for a while, then heard some noise in the brush. BOOM! DOGFIGHT! I heard Mike and another dog "going at it" in the brush, and another dog came out of the same bushes toward me. A female Rottweiler.
    At this point I really really made a concerted search for a weapon. The best ones I had were my shoes, and they were slip-on cheapies. I was in the middle of a field, with absolutely NO substantial weapons. Best news was, the female Rotty was not corouageous enough to face me. We circled each other several times until I got to the house.
    Then it was "on." I snatched the .44 out of the holster it came with and tossed a mouthful (yes a MOUTHFUL) of ammo into my face. I was loading .44 mag into that Redhawk as fast as I could, TWO AT A TIME. Coated with slobber.
    Funny part is, I didn't shoot. No need.
    Mike had the second dog down, chomping on her as she tried to move. He'd kicked the a** of two Rottweilers that morning. I let her go, she'd had enough.
    Yes, he ate lunch at the "humans'" table that day.

So, my lesson? Full moon clips are fastest for revolvers if you can get them. Speedloaders are a good second. I wouldn't use those rubber strips If I could avoid it. Have a mouthful of ammo if nothing else is available.
  11. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

I'm mixed feeling-about speedloaders. Despite hours of training, they feel clumsy and weird in my hands. I am speaking of the HKS type, of which there is no doubt can reload a revolver rapidly. I have tried the strip-style, but they are worse imho. I have a S&W 629 I carry with me in the woods. I carry six spare rounds for it, but not in a reloader of any kind. I normally carry my Springfield TRP and a two mags.
  12. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I agree, Powderhorn, that an HKS type speedloader does feel kinda awkward. I must say that it feels much LESS awkward than a handful of .44mag ammo shoved into my mouth.
    Let's face it, aside from full moon clips revolvers are not the best handguns to have to reload. Even then, they tend to have more reloads necessary than autos.
    I still like 'em.
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Since none of my revolvers are set up for moon clips, I use the HKS speed loaders. As some have stated, they are a little akward at times, but they sure beat loading one rd. at a time!
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Speed strips are wonderous things. They will hold six rounds of ammo, and keep all six together. Right now, in my front left pocket, is a pocketknife, a money clip, a handful of change and a speed strip. Could I load my 1911 with a spare magazine quicker. Yes. Could I load my 642 with an HKS quicker? Yes. But, could I get that speed strip out and start reloading that 642 quicker than I could with 5 loose rounds in there with that knife and money? Hell yes. If there are five loose rounds laying on the table and a speed strip laying on the table, which could I load my gun faster with? Speed strip.

Bianchi still makes them, but only in 38/357. There is a company now that makes then in 38, and in 44/45 and in 500 Smith.

Wow. I just went to Tuff Products' page, figgering someone would want a link. They now make 'em in 22LR, and in 32 S&W (which also works with H&R and 327). And instead of just 6 rounders, they also make 5 and 8. Cool.

http://www.tuffproducts.com/home.php?cat=265
  15. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

So, the speed strip lives on. Thanks for your views everyone. The only speed loader I never used was the push type, like an HKS but you just push. Never had the chance to try one.

One thing bothers me about full moon clips, no chance for a partial re load. Lets say you have fired three, taken cover and want to top up? You have to pull a clip with three live rounds in before replacing. Also I think most clips need a special tool to remove or replace cartridges?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  16. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Tranter, the reload thing is a non-issue. It's the same as pulling a magazine from your GP, that has five rounds left in it, and sticking in another 13-rounder. You don't toss the mag or the five rounds, you just stick it somewhere until you need it. You also don't pull it and shove 8 more rounds in it to top your gun off. You replace the magazine.

With the steel clips for my 45s, I load them using my hands (although they make tools to do it, I am too cheap to buy one). I have two different tools for "demooning" (one store-bought and one home made), but quite often I find myself using the needle-nose from my Leatherman. Always have it with me. Don't always have the tool. When I carry one of my Smiths, I carry the Uncle Mikes dual-speedloader pouch. It is designed to carry one HKS 6-round speedloader in each pouch, but holds two sets of moon-clipped 45ACP in each pocket. That give me 24 spare rounds in the pouch. If I though things might really go south, I'd use two pouches, giving me 48 spare rounds. I don't carry loose ammo for the revolvers, any more than I would carry two spare mags and 20 loose rounds for a 1911. I'd carry 5 spare mags.

There is a plastic clip that does not need special tools to demoon it.