Revolver Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 60defense, Dec 15, 2010.

1. 60defense

60defense New Member

I live in North Georgia and have purchased several handguns over the past few years. Most have been new gun purchases. I know the msrp is higher on guns than what I see them for in the stores, but I wanna know if I am still paying too much. I paid $630 for a model 60 S&W new 2 years ago and am now wanting to sell. Where do I find what this gun should bring and am wanting to purchase a Ruger Alaskan. Any thoughts on where to trade and actual value?
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

if you trade in that gun you'll get roughly 70% of what a dealer can get it for. here is how if works most places. a dealer will look up in his blue book or one of the wholesalers newpapers/books . lets use this example. if the book claims a gun in 98% ( and rarely will they see a gun at 98% most guns in great condition they'll normally look at it as 95% which lowers the value a bit) condition is worth 600 bucks the dealer will offer you 30 % less than that. so in my example 400 bucks towards a trade in. in my humble opinion you'd be much better off selling it out right . a fair price would be around 475 to 525 for a used gun such as this.
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    oscarmayer has it correct.you will never get a better deal from a dealer than what you can get in selling outright. old semperfi
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

IF, of course, state or local law allows you to sell outright, and you sell to another resident of your state.

Also, you will get more for the gun on a trade-in if buying something more expensive, just like cars.

Jim
  5. 60defense

60defense New Member

Is there any way for an individual to purchase a new firearm, or even a used one at that, closer to the wholesale value? I have looked at some of the wholesale and blue book values and they sometimes are almost half of msrp. I dont expect to get it that cheap but would like to know how to be knowledgeable enough to get it at a fair price. People say that a gun is an investment or that you can get your money back out of it down the road. Is there a way I can buy and sell or trade later on with out taking a big loss?
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

there are "kitchen" dealers that hold a FFL and can order a gun for you for a lot less than the dealer mark up. check around in your state do a google search of FFL holders and contact them ask them how much mark up they charge. i knew of one once that charged just 25 bucks over what he paid for it and passed along the savings to his customers. it worth looking into. and JimK is correct the higher the price of the gun you're looking to trade for the better of a deal you might be able to get. but this is a big maybe because most dealers stick to the above mentioned formula.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sometimes folks who are not in business themselves simply don't understand, but dealers really do like to keep the store open and feed their families. To do that, they have to make a profit and a reasonable one. Maybe "kitchen table" dealers can sell at a small markup, but they might not be around if the gun needs work or has to be returned under warranty. And they don't stock ammo, accessories, cleaning supplies, and the other stuff you just might want. And since they usually maintain no stock, you have no selection to choose from - you order it, you buy it, like it or not.

FWIW, markup on guns is pretty much in line with markups on other sporting goods; there is room to deal, but if a dealer routinely gives special prices to his friends, he soon will be out of business.

Jim