Revolver wads?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by dcriner, Apr 19, 2011.

1. dcriner

dcriner Member

I have an 1851 Navy replica revolver, cal. .36. I have read some people's opinion that the wad should go between the ball and the powder - others say on top of the ball.

I was just reading the label for my Ox-Yoke Wonder Seals - they say to put two wads in each load, one below the ball and one above the ball. What is correct?
  2. stewswanson

stewswanson New Member

I use them between the powder and ball.
    Stew
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Ox-Yoke just wants to sell more wads. There's no point in putting wads over the ball when under works just fine.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, what Hawg said. It's like "lather, rinse, repeat". Sells more shampoo.
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Another vote for under the ball only.
  6. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    The earliest reference I've found to the use of greased felt wads is a 1929 issue of the American Rifleman. Capt. Charles Askins recommended the use of such wads, between the ball and powder.
    Later editions and other publications always specify that the wad goes between the ball and powder.
    If someone tells you to put the wad over the ball, avoid them. They don't know what they're talking about and may very well give you bad advice in another area.
    The wad over the seated ball may carry the risk of it acting as a bore obstruction.
    The proper place for the wad is between the ball and powder. Always has been; should always be.
  7. tyc

tyc New Member

I just came across your posting and thought I'd add my two cents for what it may be worth. Understand now, I do not claim to be an "expert" with Black Powder. I'm not but I can offer the following regarding your question:

.1. First off, make sure the cylinder you're about to load is in fact actually EMPTY. Use a pre-marked wooden dowel or the like and push it into each cylinder. The dowel should go all the way to the back end of the cylinder, right up to "the mark," right up to the nipple end which is deep inside the cylinder. If it does not, do NOT go any further, as there's something in that cylinder and it should not be there.

.2. If the cylinder is completely empty, using a suitable measuring instrument with the proper Black Powder load in it, pour your Black Powder load into the given cylinder.

.3. Load one lubricated wad on top of the Black Powder.

.4. Load your ball (or connical bullet) and seat it down onto the already installed lubricated wad. If the ball is the largest size recommened for your revolver, you should not need to install a second wad as the ball is so snuggly seated it will not let any Black Powder past it.

One of the purposes of that first wad is to decrease the chance of your having an air gap between your powder load and the ball - something you do NOT want as it can hurt you - badly. Also, if that first wad is lubricated, the lubrication will help decrease the associated residue caused by Black Powder usage and there will be residue, which should be cleaned out the same evening after a session on the firing range.

As for that second wad, the one on top of the ball, it is supposed to help prevent multiple discharges from one firing and it may in fact be of some help in that regard but as others have suggested here, it isn't necessary and the use of this second wad does double the use/cost of such wadding. However if multiple discharging is of concern to you there is a product known as "Bore Butter" or the like, which you can put on top of the ball after installing it. It is my underestanding that Crisco (yes, the same stuff cooks and bakers use when making bread and cooking) is just as good and a lot less expensive. Put a dollip or a glob of it ontop of the ball and wipe the end of the cylinder chamber smooth; when you go shooting Black Powder, always bring a few extra rags or the like along with you; beats using your coat sleeve or trouser legs.

If there is any doubt in your mind about the safety or better, the threat of Black Powder to you, the hazard of Black Powder to you, your instincts are correct. Black Powder can hurt you; from singed eyebrows, to loss of an eye and/or digits. In the past I've worked with explosives far more powerful that Black Powder but Black Powder was the one I was told from the very beginning, that's the one to watch out for. If you're working with Black Powder and you get stupid - it will "get you."

Hope this helps some.

tyc
  8. Pustic

Pustic Member

First put in powder, then wad, then ball, then seat.:)
  9. berrde

berrde New Member

hi, i thought you were to fill the chamber so the ball would seat just below the cyclinder surface, i use 30 grs. of pyrodex, 1 wad, fill the chamber flush with cream of wheat, seat the ball compressing the powder, wad, and cream of wheat, and the ball sets about 1/16 below the cylinder surface, is this all right
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I don't use a filler and I see no difference in accuracy. As long as the ball seats deep enough to compress the powder it's good to go.