Revolvers are they Dinosaurs? Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 22WRF, Jan 11, 2006.

?

Revolvers love'em hate'm

Poll closed Jan 25, 2006.
  1. I don't own a revolver

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. I own at least one but prefer a semi auto

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. I own more than one and shoot them regular

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  4. I own many and they are my favorite shooters

16 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Are we old farts the last of revolver shooters?????
    Most of the display cases in the gun stores I visit give little space to old wheel guns. Semi's seem to be in.

Go to the gun show and the crowds are around the black plastic.
    Hi Caps (The spray and pray crowd)

The latest Guns and Ammo has a take on "Self Defence" the writer came up with the fact that wheel guns do not make good self defence guns "because they often malfunction" (parts break and they can jam) I'm missing something. I have yet to tha a revolver stove pipe on me or FTE
    What world is he in?

All the gun rags give nearly all their handgun space to the semi's.

We have a good number of revolver fans here I just wondering how many

Some of my Smith and Colts (1 is not a Smith or Colt what is it?)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well 22WRF, I'm with you. I have a pot full of wheel guns I shoot and my semi auto's are 1911's. Must be due to my age! :D :D ;)
  3. Bill

Bill New Member

Revolvers will be here for a long time. Low capacity but they can be had in pocket guns then up to 50 cal monsters. They are simple, safe, easy to learn for a newbee.
    May be had in DA/SA or DAO/SAO. Very little maintenance, reliable at all temperatures, easy to overcome a misfire by simply pulling the trigger again. The snubbies allow powerful, small pocket guns where the large revolvers allow strength to fire max hand loaded cartrides for hunting.
    They have too many positive attributes and serve a wide ranging list of needs to be dismissed.
    Bill
  4. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Still wanting a 500MAG. A 460 on a X frame would be nice as well.

Ray
  5. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

i have a 629 no dash 4in 44mag and a 686 no dash 8 3/8 in barrel 357mag, just love to shoot them both. i like my autos but still shoot my wheel guns alot.
    blackhawkkid223 :)
  6. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I own 4 Revolvers a 357mag, 38spl, 45LC, 22LR,I prefer a semi-auto for somethings, but as far as them being a Dinosaurs, no way.
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

.22WRF

I find that I have two sides, one that loves the clip fed 1911 and all sorts of tactical gear, AR-15's and all the Gucci gear that they sell to strap on it, long range "sniper rifles" and military stuff, but there will ALWAYS be a place in my heart for a beautifull wheel gun, I only have 2 of then ATM a .38 and a .357 and neither are "beautifull" guns, but I definately see a Vaqureo in my future...After the Springfield M21 of course. :D

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

8. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

now if you want to include single action revolvers i can add 5 more 2 vaquero's in 45 colt, 2 bisley vaquero's in 357, and a bisley 22 plus my pocket pistol a vintage H&R 32 colt circa 1891 making my total to 8 guess i placed the wrong vote in the poll
    blackhawkkid223 :)
  9. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I prefer to teach new shooters with a revolver. Less chance of an accidental discharge after the first shot. Also easy to load fired cases in the cylinder along with a few live ones to check for flinch.
    A revolver can lie in a drawer for years with all springs relaxed and be ready to fire as soon as the trigger is pulled. Autos have some springs compressed, at least in the magazine and safeties to contend with.
    That being said, I carried a S&W 4516 when I was working because a revolver cylinder dug into my back in the inside waistband holster
  10. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Wheel or auto I like both and have a couple of both, one day i will be lucky and get me a nice one :D ;)
    Ron
  11. res1b3uq

res1b3uq New Member

They used to call Harley Davidsons "dinosaurs". Wish I had bought some HD stock back then. Revolvers are not near dead.
  12. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I didn't vote. You didn't have a choice that said "I don't have any wheel guns but I want some as soon as I can afford some!"
  13. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

I have both, but for years I shot the Revolver and still love them. one is my carry gun.
  14. +1 for revolvers here. Hey, I like autos too, but more often than not, it's a revolver I carry on my belt. I think that gun writer 22 referred to has a bad case of "cranial-anal insertion." :D
  15. flopshot

flopshot New Member

i was a little suprised by the results. ok, i own 2 glocks and ruger mark, the mrs carries a colt govt 380. but, when anyone asks me what their first handgun shoud be it is always a revolver. for the same reasons mentioned in the above posts plus an inexperienced owner can leave a da on an empty chamber safely and be more ready than i care to be with my auto in conditon one. my mother and my aunt, both over 65 at the time requested handguns and i got them revolvers . both were comfortable, understood the weapon, and i never felt like i had to look back. personally i like the thin profile of an auto.