The Firearms Forum banner

RFI enfield marking questions

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  dec1989 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi new to this forum but not to milsurps too much. About a year ago I went to a local gun show down the street from my house looking for an enfield for my bolt-action rifle collection. There was this nice old man with his wife at a booth selling off his old guns to clean them out of his garage (why store them there who knows?). Anyway this RFI enfield caught my eye and I just fell in love with it. It is from 1953 and everything but the bolt matches. He also had a spare 15 round magazine that fit it and he sold me that for $10. The rifle itself I paid $260 but seeing as how it looks like it has been there and done that I felt ok paying it. It had some markings on the stock that I`m not too familiar with and while inspecting the sling near the butt I found a number with either a line over it or under it (depends on how you look at it) as well as traces of red paint that`s been on it a while. I hope these pictures can help. I took them under bad lighting so i hope you guys can see them. The number in question is a little blurry but the pic is of it upside down. It looks like a 9 but I`m not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
oops thanks for the correction on the magazine. I was thinking of a different gun`s magazine but it was a great deal on a .303 magazine. With thirteen different rifles of all shapes and sizes sometimes the specifics of them overlap and mix up when telling them to people. Even though it is an Ishapore, which some people tend to shy away from, I thought it was cool enough to own for myself.I knew going into the purchase that it was from India but it still is a great shooter and easily can equal its english counterpart that is also in my collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.