RG 4895 powder

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Sep 12, 2009.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Mil surp powder.
    Have any of you guys used this stuff? If so any good? Is it worth the price savings? Where would you get load data? Just wondering.

Attached Files:

2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I am familiar with propellants in general, being a former employee of Hercules Inc.

Even with the most modern manufacturing methods, batches of propellants come out differently. Sometimes they are so out of spec that they are most economically dealt with by burning at the "burning grounds" rather than trying to make them into a marketable product.

Propellants that fall within a certain narrow and uniform set of parameters are designated as reloader grade (usually called "Canister Lot Grade") and sold to the general public through wholesale and retail distributors. Propellants that meet these C.L.G. specs may also be sold to military and industrial users when their is a surplus of it for the retail market. Propellants whose specs. do not fall within the narrow C.L.G. but are still marketable are sold exclusively to industrial and military users who have the knowledge and equipment to determine loading data for it.

This powder that is pictured is not likely a C.L.G. propellant. Does the seller supply loading data? How was this data obtained? By weighing the charge from a 7.62 X 51 cartridge? Some firms are being paid to disassemble surplus military ammo. Then they sell the components like bullets and powder. As commercial and military ammo plants often use non C.L.G. propellants, every lot number of a given caliber ammo could have a slightly different propellant.

What are the savings vs commercial 4895 type powders? What is your intended use(s) for it? What is your reloading experience level?

A new reloader who wants to load hot loads is less suited to this type product than a reloader with extensive knowledge of pressure test methods and years of experience and thousands of satisfactory reloads in dozens of calibers.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  3. cycloneman

I guess i am looking for military powder info in general. Not just for this type. I have never used any and i am interested.
  4. cycloneman

Thanks for the info. I have decided it is not worth the savings. Lots of good info thanks again
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

+1 on Hammer,

I ordered some milsurp powder from pats reloading, claimed it was blc2 and it burned terribly.....very unpredictable it was 3-4 grains off of the data that was provided.