RG pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CarlV26, Mar 26, 2012.

1. CarlV26

CarlV26 New Member

What the heck is an RG pistol, i looked them up but really didnt find much, who makes them and whats thier worth. My girlfriends dad gave it to her and ive never heard of it
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

RG or Rohm GMBH Sontheim is not really known for the quality of their guns but they did make a few models that were found to be reliable shooters

not worth a lot here , maybe less in the states

without more info and pic's .. hard to say more eh ..

cheers
  3. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

that's putting it politely
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

RG = Rohm GmbH out of Germany. Rohm is no longer in the firearms ( other than blank firing guns ) manufacturing . Rohm 's first real bullet firing firearms were the RG-7, RG-10 and RG-11. These were nothing more than their blank firing guns modified to fire the 22 rim fire. They sold for 10-12 dollars when new, which was cheap even 50 years ago. These guns , while they didn't blow up, had a tendency to fall apart. These gave Rohm such a bad reputation that later when they built better revolvers, it was too late , the stigma of being junk guns was too firmly attached to the name. Their later guns, the RG 23 through the RG 88 were as good as any of the inexpensive German guns of the time { prior to 1968 } but because of the quality of their first guns all Rohm's RG's are labeled as being very low quality or junk guns. Actually the RG 60 series were fairly good guns for the money IMHO.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The RG-10 was so poorly made and so cheap ($9.95 at some stores), that gun people gave it and guns like it the name "Saturday Night Specials". If course, the anti-gun gang picked up on that term and used it to "prove" that all handguns were cheap, poor quality, and should be outlawed. They almost succeeded. Just goes to show that the terms WE use can be used against us.

Jim
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I've had a few RG 66's and they were pretty decent reliable guns. I never had a problem with any of them and wouldn't mind having another one since my last one got stolen.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

its a bit rough to come out and say CRAP!! we dont know the model

the 38S was ok , a couple others , the rest , well hunk o junk springs to mind

but he did say 38 so theres some hope , only half of them where pot metal guns , the s was quite a nice gun the 38 t too , the rest , i'd rather not own
  8. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

i have an rg 39 that is a nickel plated 38 spl with a 4 inch barrel and it seems to be very superior to other rg's I have seen. My father-in-law gave me a 22 cal single action that is a good plinker but no were near a ruger single six or even an italian clone for that matter. as nice as my 38 spl is, I would hesitate to put a value of $200 on it though. and about $50 on the 22.
  9. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

I purchased one of their single action .22s new in the very early 70s. the action was gritty and on every other chamber it was a lead spitting SOB. I think lead went everywhere except down the barrel. I think one of my brothers in law stole it, I didn't pursue it.

Fast foward a decade. My now wife and I started dating. She had a pistol her daddy bought her for protection. A RG .25 Auto. OMG, it was all I could do to keep from laughing. Another RG hunk o junk. It's performance would aspire to pitiful. To hear they had products that were decent is a bit of a surprise.

Like they say, never say never, never say "all"