RIA Commander Finished (Now Tactical)

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by jstanfield103, Oct 20, 2012.

1. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

I bought the RIA Commander because I was hooked and still am on the 1911 platform but I wanted the smaller size to carry. Taurus, Remington did not make the commander size. I held the RIA once when I bought my Taurus PT1911, but bought the Taurus over the RIA. When I was looking for the Commander size I read and read and watched everything on the RIA that I could. Very very few complaints if any, the sights were the biggest complaint. I was not going to buy one but I walked into my LGS and there set a brand new Commander on the shelf. Bought it right up. I Loved the feel of the pistol but did not care for two things, sights and the fact that it did not have a flush magazine. After reading on how to change the sights and a couple of YouTube videos I order some sights from Fusion (http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-746/1911-Colt-white-dot/Detail). I also ordered a Magwell Mainspring housing (but in blued http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-779/1911-Colt-Officer-Mainspring/Detail) Replaced the trigger with a short trigger one that I took off my Remington R1. and Fusion commander size MagWell grips. The only problem I had was the Fusion Magwell the mainspring part was a little long and I had to fit it, but it works very well now ( it would not let the grip safety move ). I then used Perma Blue from Wal-Mart on the big roll mark on the slide to blue it out (thanks to every body that I read their posts on sights and the bluing idea for the roll marks on this site. It's an awesome place here ). Well here is the final product of witch I am very happy. I just wish the front sight was dove tailed instead of staked.
    Let me know what you think, for me the sights are a let better for my 50 year old eye's to pick up, even in an emergancy situation you probably will barely use them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very nice..........
  3. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Sweet pistola you got there!
  4. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

Thanks guy's like it a lot
  5. 45silverback

45silverback New Member

Nice gun, but in the interest of accuracy, that is actually an "Officers's Model" length gun. The Commander size has a full length grip frame and a 4.25" barrel.

I believe that little beauty has a 3" bull barrel.

Basically you have:
    - Full Size or Govt. Model. Full length grip frame and 5" barrel.
    - Commander lenght. Full length grip frame and 4.25" Barrel
    - Officers Model length. Grip frame shortened (6 rnd Mag v. 7/8 rnd Mag) and a 3" bull Barrel.

There are a couple of manufacturers who have guns with Officers lenght barrels and full length grip frames... Dan Wesson is one such manufacturer I think.
  6. Martimus

Martimus New Member

Nice lookin Pistol!
  7. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

45Silverback I should have said compact model but you get reading so much and alot of people over on the RIA forums call it a compact/ officers so I just messed up when I said Officers model. It does have the Bull barrel so it is a 3.5" compact.