Riddle me this Riddle me That

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by BigBlack, Oct 20, 2008.

1. BigBlack

BigBlack New Member

Okay new reloader still learning as much as possible. I have been working on my 243 loads and am getting MOA groups at 100 yards pretty consistently now. Preparing it for hunting I fine tuned the scope adjustments and then popped off a few groups at 200 yards. Surprisingly my groups were only about 1.25" to 1.5" consistently. So at 100 yards I am about 1 MOA consistently then at 200 yards .6 to .7 MOA, why not closer to 2 MOA. I was under the impression (remember new reloader here) that if my group size was 1" at 100 yards I could expect 2" at 200 yards and 3" at 300 yards and so on.

Wind was relatively nonexistent this trip.

Not looking for flames only instruction or enlightenment.

Thanks
    BB
  2. gary0529

gary0529 Member

I am sure there will be others with a more complete explanation but I would consider the "let the bullet go to sleep" phenomenon that is seen with long range shooting.
    Depending what bullet type and velocity the bullet is traveling at, it may take well over 100 yards for aerodynamic forces and spin stability to let the bullet settle into a non yawing path.
    Did you measure the 100 yard target holes VERY precisely and were they completely round.
    If not, there may have been a bit of yaw at 100 yards that later settled down and smoothed out.
    I await the experience of others who have much more 1000 yard shooting time than I do to further explain.

Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading.

Gary
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

My Ruger 77 .25-06 does the same thing with it's "pet load"...
    100gr Barnes flatbase-X, it'll drop 5-shot groups into 1.25-1.5" all day @ 200yds but the best I've ever done @ 75yds (the farthest butt I've got at my short-range back at the farm) is 1.5".
    I've been toying around with the new 100gr TSX boattail in the same rifle (since the original flatbase X is no longer made in that size/weight) and this bullet will group much better at 75yds (1.75" so far) but at 200yds the groups stretch out to 3.0-3.5". This is what I'd expect a load to do...but I know the rifle should be able to do better.

It might be as Gary suggests in that the bullet is still "settling" into it's trajectory. would be interesting to hear more on that subject.
    Might also want to play with your bullet seating length too...seating farther from or closer to the lands can definitely change how a bullet groups at one range. Might affect how it groups at various ranges too.

I'd be curious myself, but I won't complain too loud about that .7 MOA at 200yds either. That'll make for a good hunting load in my book! :D
  4. artabr

artabr New Member

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :D
    I have a Ruger 77 Mk.II V.T. in .308 that does the same thing.

Art
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

One of the books-Hatcher's notebook I think -details how he shot a 30-06 service load at a tightly packed bundle of oak beams to test penetration. When he shot the bundle from closer range he only got shallow penetration something like 12 inches. When he shot the same setup from longer range he got something like 40 inches of penetration. He figured it was because bullets do settle down in flight & stop yawing at some point.
  6. gary0529

gary0529 Member

Nice article in Dec. 2008 Shooting Times magazine (just got mine) that deals with yaw and bullets settling in over a longer range.
    Have seen your posts all over the other forums and many good ideas there but I will still give the "yaw" theory a bit greater credence to explain improved groupings at longer distances.
    Once you get a larger number of shots on target so you can get a more reliable statistical interpretation of what is going on.
    Really hate to make judgments on the basis of one 3 shot grouping.

Just 2 cents worth of whatever!

Gary