Riesing sub gun

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by 300 H&H, Apr 25, 2007.

1. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

What do you guys think about this much disliked sub gun? I hear that as a battle weapon, that is was not much good. Having shoot one that was clean and well maintained I have to say I was impressed. In S/A I found it to be quite accurate, though the trigger pull weight was very heavy and it shot about 1' high at 50 yd. the tilting semi locked breech is interesting, as is the closed bolt operation. The rifleman just did artical on them, and a few guys thought they were all right. Most thought they were not.
  2. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

The...Riesing sub-gun? I never hear of it.
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Mosin, U.S.M.C. used them in the pacific theater because they did not have enough Thompsons. Was desinged by a former mairne, I believe and built by Harrington&Richardson. There is a civilian H&R model 60 that is semi automatic for the home guard. All bridges on rail roads in the U.S. had guards on there and some of these guns were stamped with the name of the rail road. The military version 45ACP was selective fire, and in two forms, one with a solid one piece stock, the other a wire folding stock for paratroopers. I really would not "pull your leg "about this. They were a stop gap measure until more Thompsons could be built.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the reising was not suited to jungle warfare because they would jam when dirty and and not maintained. if the marines would have spent as much time working out the problems as the u.s. military later did with the m-16 (early models also unsuited to jungle warfare) the resing could have been a more effective weapon.

after the war full-auto versions of the reising were marketed to police departments and being well maintained they served well. the semi-auto version being a legal semi-automatic carbine is very collectible as the price they bring shows.

H&R also built several different models on 22 long-rifle semi-auto using a modeified version of this action (straight blowback).
    bill
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007