rifle 1917 identity help

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by oldfartrr, Sep 13, 2012.

1. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

cant seem to find or not looking in right places ?? THOUGHT that they were all made in NY, Pennsylvania, or Connecticut... and WHO made it ????
    have an enfield P-17 or 1917 model rifle picked up about 30 yrs ago, have just enjoyed it. now trying to find out just exactly what it is. was partially sporterized by owner before me, no metal mods, not bad but not great, i cleaned it up and cold blued it to help its looks. had grind marks on top of action, previous owner said it had all kinds of symbols and such he didnt like on it ??. probably all the arsenal and other id marks needed. stock was shortened to the barrel band and very nice walnut, cleaned it up and tung oiled it and it looks very nice. and a great shooter, has taken a few deer and several pigs and 2 black bear.
    on the barrel behind the site is marked cal 30-06 and ST.ALB,VT U.S.A.
    i hand filed all the grinder marks off (he didnt go deep enough to damage anything just the id marks. on sides and bottom of action have attached some info that maybe someone can id for me...serial # seems very low 05997 ..
    maybe jack has some ideas ??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

These rifles were originally made under contract for the Britts in .303 caliber. We eintered the war with too few 1903 Springfield rifles. It was more cost effective, and much faster to remake them in 30/06 for US troops. That is the rifle you have, the US version.

They were made in three places. Winchester, Remington Arms, and Eddystone arsenal. Eddy stone was under the managment of Remington during the production of the 1917 rifle. These are the three markings of who made them you will encounter on the front reciever bridge. They were only made in 1918-19. Original barrels have the stamp of the maker, and a barrel date behind the front sight. I don't know of the markings you show, other thatn inspetors marks or proof marks....I think your barrel may have been replaced, as it is without a date.

They are a fine rifle, in some ways better than the 1903. The cock on closing of the bolt has few admirer's these days however....

Regards, Kirk
  3. BillM

BillM Active Member

I'm going to guess and say this one spent some time out of the US.

The St Alb VT is probably the import mark for Century Arms. There were
    and maybe still are several countries that used the 1917, maybe some of
    the weird marks are proof or unit marks for ?????.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

agree with BillM

CAI ST ALB VT, is an import mark from Century Arms in Vermont
  5. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

thanks for the help guys,,
    thought someone might be able to decipher some of the markings
    she is a great shooter so doesnt really matter, just curious
  6. B27

B27 New Member

Whatever Bubba did that to your stock needs to be thrashed severely. :mad:

People that do that to these older historical guns are defacing history, IMHO.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Not bubba'd at all

there where sappers versions not just sappers used em , but thats the name they had , artillery and a few other folks got em as they weighed a pound lighter

mortar men got them a few others

air force ( army air corps) too
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

6 main variants i think from memory probably wrong , but around there ..
  9. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

i agree but u should have seen it before i cleaned it up,, was just sawed off and grind marks on top of reciever. :(
    a bit of sandpaper and oil on the stock. filed and sanded the top of reciever ,, and a bit of cold blue.
    dont think $50 was too bad an investment
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

CAI ST ALB VT stands for Century Arms Inc., St. Albans, Vermont; as noted, it is the importer's mark, not that of the original manufacturer.

There were no variations of the U.S.-made Pattern 1914 or the U.S. Model 1917; there may have been "sapper's" or other variations of some British rifles other than those made in the U.S.

Jim
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  11. whirley

whirley Member

Eddystone and Winchester marked the 1917 rifles with their name on top of the receiver in the front. I never saw a Remington, but I'l guess they probably did the same.
  12. gunboat

gunboat Member

Actually I don't see it as "bubba'd" either -- Seems to look decent --
    Probably bought for about $20-30 in the late 60's or 70's --
    Stock looks to be neatly cut --
    Can't speak to the owners thoughts about grinding off the marking --
    But, all in all a nice cheap hunting rifle that is a bit lighter --

We tend to look at yesterday with todays eyes.
  13. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

If my memory serves me right, which it seldom does anymore,Remington made a civilian version of this rifle designated the 30A. It may have been modified more than yours.:confused::confused::confused:
  14. gunboat

gunboat Member

I think the rem 30a was built on the same receiver without the sight "ears".
  15. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

I can't really help:eek:, but I love trying find out the history of used guns, especially military arms that have circulated outside of the US. It is a subject of great interest to me.

And as for sportorizing a used military gun, it really depends on the model of the gun, its value, its condition,so on so forth.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012