Rifle Bullet Consistency and Manufacturers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Claudius Valarium, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    Regarding rifle loads, I wanted to get your thoughts on bullet consistency from the various manufacturers? In your opinion, does any one manufacturer have the edge over the others?

For the most part, I've been loading and testing Sierra bullets for .223 and .22-250, but as I read this thread http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/bullets_ballastics/bullet_imbalance_twist.htm, I see that bullet center of gravity can make a difference in accuracy as it leaves the end of the barrel (center of form). I realize that bullets are mass produced, but my thought is that the higher cost bullets will give a better consistency and accuracy as there is probably more quality control in the manufacturing process. On the other hand, I also understand that every rifle will have a favorite bullet, no matter the cost.

Is it like anything else, you get what you pay for or am I worrying about nothing?