Rifle butchers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bunnyhunter12, Aug 16, 2007.

?

Given it was an 1895 long, Steyr Mannlicher, how do you feel about making it a lamp?

1. A shame to do that to a rifle.

54 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. It's better than using the 1895 to shoot with.

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Who cares?

17 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

I was in a shop today looking for some ammo and in the corner for $250, there was a floor lamp made from a rifle. So sad to see guns go this way. Maybe it's just me though.
  2. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Depend i would do it if it was a piece o cr@p not worth fixing.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

If it was ever in a fire or anything like that, I would prolly do something like that
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Especially since the original Standard length Infantry M95 rifless are now so rare since most were shortened in 1934 to carbine length, so originals now command a pretty hefty price, that's one expensive lamp!

It would be like somebody making a lamp out of a Springfield 1903 in the 1950s or so when they were $20....

That rifle was the main rifle of the Austro-Hungarian Empire when "Empire" still meant something...and served well in WWI on the Eastern Front against the Russians and Italians.

That rifle is better constructed than any Mauser, IMO. And that straight pull is also the ONLY one ever designed that proved itself in battle, in numbers. It was one fast firing rifle for it's time, probably the only BA rifle that could match the Enfield in firepower...

What a shame....

Tell you what Bunny, tell him I will give him $20 US for his "lamp," but only if it's "restorable....";)
  5. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

to each thier own. I have a old shotgun made into a lamp. It's one of the Sears branded ones that you could buy for $65 at a show and with the recall they had on the bolts, send in the bolt for $100 or $150. Gotta do something with the rest. :p
  6. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

A gun is a tool. So I personally dont care. It does drive me nuts though to see an old gun put away in a closet, or hanging on a wall never to be shot again. It is a gun made to shoot, shoot it or give it to someone who will. Like me.:D -Char
  7. polishshooter

Where was it I saw somewhere recently that you could buy barstools made from 4 Springfield 03 stocks?

That one made me chuckle and cringe at the same time. Granted with all the "sporterized" 03s that were done, there HAS to be a glut of old military stocks around, especially ones that were ALREADY cut down (I even have one!)

But it still made me cringe...maybe because of the Historian in me, I don't know (says the Polak with not one but TWO "modified" and sporterized Mosin Nagants!:p )
  8. williamd

williamd New Member

There are butchers and there are butchers. In a jury pool a couple of years ago. Young man shot up his Ex's house with a shotgun when she and new boyfriend were inside. Told the judge I could not be unbiased. He asked why. Told him I was an NRA member, believed in 'use a gun, go to jail', ... and the idiot had cut down (bbl's and grip) a $1200 Ruger Red Label. Judge was upset at me. I replied, You asked! I was dismissed.:D
  9. henry0reilly

henry0reilly New Member

tools vs art

Yes a gun is a "tool" but it can also be a work of art, just like a car is transportation but can also be art.
  10. henry0reilly

henry0reilly New Member

re: the poll - I voted "it's a shame" but really it depends on the condition . . .

I know nothing whatsoever about this particular model
  11. polishshooter

Thats a classic, William!:p :D :D :D

I mean it ALREADY sets the table in your mind for an "Insanity" defense, right?:p

But then again, is it MUCH different than "Sporterizing?"

A buddy of mine inherited a NICE Civil War Colt made .58cal rifle-musket...that somebody did the "typical" "cut down into a shotgun" modification that was so common after the war, when Springfield and Enfields were literally pennies to buy....

But it sits next to the door in his kitchen, and EVERY time I see it I pick it up and cry a little more, and he's asking me AGAIN for advice, whether to restore it, or sell it for "parts...." (Selling it to ME for $100 he isn't going for YET....;))
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  12. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I have 3 sporterized Mausers. I considered none of the as "Butchered"
    but rather saved from the parts pile.

1. Turk 38 with a Swede barrel. Bought as a barreled action with a shot out barrel.

2. M98 Chilean by Styer bought as a barreled action, barrel shot out re barreled 6.5x55 Shilen barrel.

3. Yugo 24/47 bought as a barrel action, restocked with a Boyds stock.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

On the subject of turning a rifle into a lamp, I find that no different than me turning a Texas Hi Std into a wall hanger. The piece of shxt Houston gun flat would not feed any ammo because the frame was made wrong. I tried for years to make it function and failed. To me sucess was reached when I hung it on the wall as art. The gun still looked great, it just wasn't a functioning firearm. In the end it cost no more than a fine sculpture.

As for sporterizing military relics, I am currently doing that right now! I started with an extra Mauser K98 receiver purchased by my son-in-law as a bare part. If I don't turn it into something useful like a functioning gun, it probably would have floated around in someones parts box forever. I have a military K98 that's in excellent condition so I don't need another. I don't have any gun in 9.3 x 62 so that is where the gun is going....a sporterized heavy barreled K98 with a scope for paper and metal target shooting. Can't buy that anywhere in the USA but I'll have one. I have other military guns that are "original" (as can be expected after many decades since they left the factory and many decades in Military issue) so I support the history of firearms. But they all can't end up as "original" relics as many are not even close to complete to start with.

LDBennett
  14. I think it makes a huge difference whether or not the rifle in question is actually usable for anything. Take Mosins, for example . . . just kidding, Polish! :D Seriously, I see no real harm in it if and only if the rifle is neither shootable nor a piece of fast-disappearing historical militaria.
  15. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Just a thought, but the world is full of old guns. Many obsolete, many in very poor condition and fit only to be destroyed. I have seen guns deactivated and guns made into other things. I have even done it myself. In a way, if it's really not worth much, either because its obsolete or there are millions of them, being turned into something or modified in some way is not such a bad idea.

Here is a picture of a WW2 DZ37 I turned into a table (The inside is all welded up). Value of the gun? About $250.00. I think most would agree it's a more honourable end than being melted down for scrap! As a bonus, it's great to see the faces on any anti gun visitors.

Re the lamp? I have to agree, something more common would have done just as well, it is a silly choice.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  16. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Well, one certainly won't find that model computer table at 'Office World'! :) :)
    Well done!
  17. 45nut

45nut New Member

Ah Tranter,

That made me smile. :)

Good point mrkirker. I wouldn't think Wal-Mart would have one either. :D
  18. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Interesting weapon the VZ37. It was designed pre WW2 and has a two stage rate of fire selector. Very useful. Plus you cock the thing by pushing the two side handles forwards against a spring, then pull it back, loose. I have never fired one, but wouldn't say no.

This one was made during WW2 in Chekoslovakia and used by the Germans. The VZs were apparently favoured by the SS. It also sports Israeli stamps, so may have been used in their war of independence. It is 7.92.

Now isn't it better a table than sold for scrap? It is after all obsolete.

I knew it as the DZ, it has been pointed out they are also known as the VZ37 and ZB37. The same gun was also made in the UK by BSA in WW2 and used in armoured vehicles.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  19. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

That's such a great idea Tranter!! I couldn't own 1 myself as I'm a welder & know anything that's been welded...... can be un-welded!!! :rolleyes:;)

Hmmmmm, now that I think about it, what better place to hide something than in plain sight! :eek::D (whispering) Hey Tranter..... your secret's safe w/ me!! :p:p:p

SR :)
  20. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

dig up 2 year old threads, is there nothing new anymore??

They say history repeats, maybe go for some 5 year old stuff next go round-eh?