Rifle die question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 44stevenson, Feb 22, 2011.

1. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

What is the reason for having a full length sizer in your rifle die set, I know that some sets don't even have it, all they seem to do for me is piss me off when they get a shell stuck in them.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

All dies sets, save for the ones that are 'necksize only', come with a standard FL die. They wont stick if you lube them... Most pistol dies are carbide and do not require case lube, quite the contrary for rifle dies. They are precision ground steel and require a thin film of case lube on the case and a dab in the mouth so the case doesnt stick... My preferred method of case lubing is to squeeze an entire tube of LEE case lube into a pint sized pump spray bottle (one that sprays fine mist) and dilute it to liquid form with stout (91 or 97%) rubbing alcohol and spray the cases inside a gallon size freezer bag, then shake em. this allows you to spray and even film over the cases and the alcohol dries very quickly leaving a thin white residue even in the case mouth. I guarantee you your cases wont stick...
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

oh yeah, and to answer your question, the reason for the FL die is because not all rifles have the same chamber dimensions having an FL die allows you to load for all of them. Also, say you have just one rifle and you necksize for it, eventually you will need to bump the shoulder back so it will chamber. after a few cycles they still stretch to the point that they wont chamber easily...
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

This^
  5. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

I know you have to Ludendorff the case for the fl die, my method just doesn't seem to work that great. So what exactly do you "adjust" with the FL die?
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

how do you lube your cases?

What exactly do you mean by what do you adjust with the die???

The die doesnt adjust anything you adjust the die to set the fired case back to factory specs.... simple as that...
  7. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

With a cotton swab and lube pad. You said the fl die adjust the case back to factory specs, that's what I was asking. I just didn't know what it was for since everything looked right without it on some .223 cases I was loading.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ok I understand where youre coming from now.

Everytime I have ever used a lube pad with case 'oil' I get stuck cases, particularly .223. Not to mention if you get too much lube on the case itll cause hydraulic dents in the shoulder.

Thats why i switched to diluted Lee case lube. One tube costs 4 bucks, mixed into a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol it will lube many thousands of cases and your cases wont stick in the die...
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

heres a pic of what im talking about... This is just the bottle from the cabelas case lube. I bought it to try and ended up pouring it out and putting diluted LEE case lube in there... Its about the consistency of water.

Attached Files:

10. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

i've got a tube of Lee resizing lube, a pasty type stuff, are you talking about mixing it with water?
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

rubbing alcohol, it evaporates quickly and ensures a nice light and even coat.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thanks worm, ya beat me to it.

Yes 44, I dilute with stout rubbing alcohol (91-97%) til its thin as water so it will spray thru the bottle. The alcohol dries very quickly leaving a very thin white film on the cases.

I spray them in a gallon size freezer bag, spray em real good, shake em, then spray em again, and shake em. then take them all out and set them up on end on the desk, by the time i get the last ones out of the bag, the first ones are dry and ready to size. this method gets the lube just inside the case mouth too without special attention to getting it inside the casemouth...
  13. Sandman

Sandman Member

That brings up another question. I have read not to lube the shoulder of the cases. Is this not a problem doing it the way you describe?
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I tell you what, a fellow can learn something new every day around here. Thanks Josh, I have never even thought of something like that. I don't know if this is your idea or someone else's, but thanks for so much knowledge.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The LEE case lube doesnt effect the shoulders because its paraffin based, it doesnt have a hydraulic denting effect like oil based case lubes like lyman or RCBS. This is why you can spray them all over like this and it works great!