Rifle easier to find than .357

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Kristie, Nov 15, 2012.

1. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

30-30 is most assuredly a common caliber for rifle and is one of the most popular for hunting; it is also a milder rifle round to shoot than most and ammo is available at all stores. The 7.62x39 (sks/ak) round is quite similar and is also very common. The .357 is available and (I believe) most guns chambered for it will also feed/function with the .38 spl which is milder.

You state you are a slim build, ok; if you are comfortable with a lever gun you can get the ones you are eyeing. Ammo interchangibility is a good idea, but you are actually limiting yourself in gun choices and giving yourself a very limited type of ammo. My opinion is that having differing ammo types allows me to make choices; not a "only this" limitation.
  2. Kristie

Kristie Member

I was ruling out the SKS because I wanted whatever is functionally more simple and less likely to need to be fixed. I definitely like a lever gun, yes. I like the idea of a bolt, but I haven't used one, and they don't hold as many rounds as a lever.

Definitely a good point about the ammo choice limiting availability of guns. That's what I'm running into!

So much to figure out, here. Definitely have a headache.
  3. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Dude,

The Rossi is a very good carbine. To start, I had an earlier model that was pretty stiff with not so good wood. I sold it and I bought a newer version about 5 years ago, with case hardened frame and good wood. Fit & finish is very good too. I have the slightly older blued model and my buddy just bought the stainless steel version and his is much smoother than my new one was when I bought it.

They are making good quality carbines and I highly recommend them. The ruger is a bolt action with 5 or 6 rounds whereas the carbine holds 11 rounds and mine and my buddy's are very accurate. Kill a deer or man at 150 yards. What else do you need?

BTW, they are sighted in for 158 gr .357 and 125 gr will shoot high as well as .38 specials
  4. Kristie

Kristie Member

I don't know, I've heard both good and bad reactions to it. I'm really considering it, though. I've heard that the newer ones, since they're made in Brazil, the quality control just isn't there. But it's like anything. I know I could get one that's just fine. I'm so on the fence about it. I'm glad to hear one more good review, though, so thanks for that.
  5. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Just a "fyi" the sks is very durable and was/is used by illiterate conscripts and peasants with virtually no training or experience (I shoot mine....proving my point) and they are light, accurate enough and they always go bang.

However, stay in your comfort zone as you are the one shooting.If you were in South Louisiana I would be glad to meet you at the range and let you try a few different weapons; post the area you live in and maybe another member is close to you and could help advise you.
  6. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Sorry, Dudette!!

Go to the gun store and work the action on a stainless and a blued version. The newer ones are smoother. If it isn't smooth enough off the shelf, then don't buy it. Taurus also makes the pump .357, but I don't know anything about them at all.

reviews at bottom of page
  7. Kristie

Kristie Member

I call everyone "dude", so no worries there!
    Well, there's only one at one store in an hour radius, so if it's good, I may get it. If it's not good, won't it get smoother with more use? I forgot to ask if it was blued or not. I didn't know they made a pump .357.
  8. 45nut

45nut Active Member

It will smooth out as you use it. Mine took a little use to smooth out while Bodreaux's was smooth right out of the box.

The way things are going I wouldn't wait.
  9. Kristie

Kristie Member

Exactly. I'm not one to make snap decisions, especially on important purchases like this one, but I do want to move fast on this. I will definitely feel more secure once I have it, have practiced with it, and have a lot of rounds stashed somewhere. I never thought I'd be one to think along these lines, but I've always been a believer in being prepared however possible.
  10. savage170

savage170 Member

Something a little different but I have a M-1 Carbine and Ruger Blackhawk chambered for 30 carbine that does that duty for me
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

my rossi/tarus 38spl levergun is nice. smooth as butter action.. shoots great.. and fun to shoot. no shoulder fatigue.

action is snappy and fast.. i've shot a couple hundred thru it easy. from hollowpoint to ball.. no jambs or hangs

ps.. a 30-30 lever gun may not hld many more rounds or any more than a bolt action setup for the '5' for hunting.. i doubt my 35rem holds more than that..
  12. Kristie

Kristie Member

Yeah, that thing about the .30-.30 not holding as much is something to keep in mind. Thanks.

And yet the Rossi large loop carbine in .45 LC holds 8 + 1. Wouldn't have thought!
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  13. Kristie

Kristie Member

Well, went to Gander Mountain last night, looked at the R92, tried the lever and it was smooth, so I got it. Little disappointed with the fit of the stock, but that really doesn't matter. Picked up some Blazer in each caliber, so I hope it likes it. Would've gotten Hornady but they didn't have any. So next on the list is a .357 revolver that'll eat the ammo the Rossi won't. :D I'm going to spend a little more time on selecting this one, though. Speaking of which, what's the difference between .38 special and .38 S & W special? Difference circumferences?
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

no difference. 2 names for the same round
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you wont be disappointed in the rossi. just remember, as you will likely fire more .38 spec than .357 mag.. Buy a bore snake. The shorter shells in the longer chamber will leave a powder residue ring where the end of the .38 spec case is in the chamber. if you chamber a .357 mag and fire it with that soot in there it can stick and render your rifle useless requiring a cleaning rod be jammed down the barrel to remove it befor eproceeding. swapping ammo from one to the other is fine, just run the bore snake between ammo swaps.