Rifle easier to find than .357

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Kristie, Nov 15, 2012.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Sorry, Dudette!!

Go to the gun store and work the action on a stainless and a blued version. The newer ones are smoother. If it isn't smooth enough off the shelf, then don't buy it. Taurus also makes the pump .357, but I don't know anything about them at all.

reviews at bottom of page
  2. Kristie

Kristie Member

I call everyone "dude", so no worries there!
    Well, there's only one at one store in an hour radius, so if it's good, I may get it. If it's not good, won't it get smoother with more use? I forgot to ask if it was blued or not. I didn't know they made a pump .357.
  3. 45nut

45nut Active Member

It will smooth out as you use it. Mine took a little use to smooth out while Bodreaux's was smooth right out of the box.

The way things are going I wouldn't wait.
  4. Kristie

Kristie Member

Exactly. I'm not one to make snap decisions, especially on important purchases like this one, but I do want to move fast on this. I will definitely feel more secure once I have it, have practiced with it, and have a lot of rounds stashed somewhere. I never thought I'd be one to think along these lines, but I've always been a believer in being prepared however possible.
  5. savage170

savage170 Member

Something a little different but I have a M-1 Carbine and Ruger Blackhawk chambered for 30 carbine that does that duty for me
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

my rossi/tarus 38spl levergun is nice. smooth as butter action.. shoots great.. and fun to shoot. no shoulder fatigue.

action is snappy and fast.. i've shot a couple hundred thru it easy. from hollowpoint to ball.. no jambs or hangs

ps.. a 30-30 lever gun may not hld many more rounds or any more than a bolt action setup for the '5' for hunting.. i doubt my 35rem holds more than that..
  7. Kristie

Kristie Member

Yeah, that thing about the .30-.30 not holding as much is something to keep in mind. Thanks.

And yet the Rossi large loop carbine in .45 LC holds 8 + 1. Wouldn't have thought!
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  8. Kristie

Kristie Member

Well, went to Gander Mountain last night, looked at the R92, tried the lever and it was smooth, so I got it. Little disappointed with the fit of the stock, but that really doesn't matter. Picked up some Blazer in each caliber, so I hope it likes it. Would've gotten Hornady but they didn't have any. So next on the list is a .357 revolver that'll eat the ammo the Rossi won't. :D I'm going to spend a little more time on selecting this one, though. Speaking of which, what's the difference between .38 special and .38 S & W special? Difference circumferences?
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

no difference. 2 names for the same round
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you wont be disappointed in the rossi. just remember, as you will likely fire more .38 spec than .357 mag.. Buy a bore snake. The shorter shells in the longer chamber will leave a powder residue ring where the end of the .38 spec case is in the chamber. if you chamber a .357 mag and fire it with that soot in there it can stick and render your rifle useless requiring a cleaning rod be jammed down the barrel to remove it befor eproceeding. swapping ammo from one to the other is fine, just run the bore snake between ammo swaps.
  11. Kristie

Kristie Member

Crap, and here I bought a cleaning rod because I find them easier to use!
  12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You will always find use for a cleaning rod, no worries there.
  13. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag. My son got me a Marlin Lever in 44 mag for this christmas. Should be a good combo. I like the idea of a rifle pistol combo with the same round.

Marlin 44 mag lever.jpg
  14. Kristie

Kristie Member

Yes, it's just that buying both doesn't appeal to my sense of thriftiness. ;)
  15. Kristie

Kristie Member

That Marlin looks really nice. Great Christmas present! I actually would've preferred one over the Rossi, but I got what was available.
  16. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Josh, My interest in buying a Rossi lever gun in .357 has been quelled recently by customer reviews saying the Rossi isn't what it used to be and reports of numerous FTF issues. Have you experience with the newer ones?.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

No. they are pretty good guns.. Just dont break em. Customer service is as bad and slow as Taurus because they are the same company. And getting parts to repair them is a must go thru them kinda thing..
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cleanin rod will work fine too. Just takes longer to use.
  19. FreeSovereign

FreeSovereign New Member

I like mine, Rossi .45, with a couple of Judges to with it. All fun rigs. Lots of ammo choices in .45 LC. Some is pretty weak. I still don't want to be shot with any of it. I killed two deer with the cheap cowboy action stuff. The carbine is short, light, and easy to get into play. No problems with it thus far. Of course a Judge is a Judge, but I like them anyhow.
  20. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i don't think i'd have taken cowboy action ammo deer hunting.. :)