Rifle easier to find than .357

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Kristie, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

The Blackhawk [Ruger] is just like your Single-Six SA .22 convertible.....
    only the next frame size up.
    Totally magnificent awesome gun........built stronger than a military tank.
    There are even special 'hot' loads in reloading data that only this and
    a few other guns can withstand the pressures from.
    ONLY drawback......as you know with your .22........
    one at a time, in and out, loading, unloading.......
    BUT...IMHO.....a MUST HAVE revolver !!
    If you choose the small [J-frame] SP-101.....even the .38's
    are not that comfortable to shoot 100 rounds out of.....let nobody
    fool you on that...and get Trausch grips for any SP-101.
    If the size is not too large.....you will be much better off, all
    the way around, with a GP-100.
    I would still check out a Ruger Blackhawk first...before you decide.
    Several barrel lengths.....and will outlast your great-grandchildren !
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

GP-100 [actually KGP-141 ?]
    K for stainless, 4 for 4" barrel
    She's sorta dirty in these pics.....
    MamaOzo shoots the beans outa her......

Well balanced, tough as railroad track, good
    trigger right from the box.........
    and a front sight system that is so, so cool....
    and can be changed in 4 seconds.....
    [I think a law should be passed to require this
    type of front sight system on almost every gun :):)]

Attached Files:

• 080.jpg
      080.jpg
      File size:
      51 KB
      Views:
    • 081.jpg
      081.jpg
      File size:
      75.8 KB
      Views:
  3. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

If you were looking for a "SHTF" weapons setup, why are you married to a lever action and a revolver?

In a SHTF situation, the two most common platforms around are the AR-15 (in either 5.56mm or .223) and the 9mm handgun (a la Glock).

The AR has 3 times the capacity as the lever action and the difference in ammo cost between .357 and 5.56 is negligible.

And 9mm is cheaper than .357 all day long. Also, again, capacity.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

This should help with your confusion.....
    "So I wanted a .357 rifle (preferably a carbine) and a .357 revolver combo."

Because it's what the OP wants......nuff said.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'm guessing, from what the last few posts have said, that you have bought your rifle? If so, then my comments won't do you any good, but maybe they'll help others.

The big loop 92 (like that 45 on the bottom) are FUN. They are. I play John Wayne, and spin it. It's just neat.

[​IMG]

Slow as hell, though, when you are shooting it. Because of the size of the loop, your hand has to move about an extra inch and a half, in both directions, when working the lever, and that just slows you down. The standard lever, like is on that 357 on top, is much quicker. The 4 extra inches of barrel does not make the gun any less handy, and gives you another two rounds - 10+1 vs. 8+1.

Soundguy has said, a couple of times, that he has a Rossi in 38. Never heard of one of them. Rossi is a 38/357, at least all of 'em I've seen. And they work with both. Mine has fed everything I've put in it, from empty 38 brass to full-bore 357s. Marlin, on t'other hand, is a 357. They can be kinda picky about feeding 38s, unless you have some work done on it to fix that, and then they can be kinda picky about feeding 357.

Colt used to make a pump rifle. The Lightning. Came in 44/40, 38/40 and 32/20. It wasn't a really good gun. When I worked, it worked fine, but it often did not work, and it was hard to work on. They discontinued it. Cowboy-shooting rules allows lever guns, so several companies make/made copies of the Colt Lightning. Pedersoli, in Italy, Taurus in Brasil and US Fire Arms, up in Connecticut. These new copies come in 357, 44 magnum and 45 Colt. They are all expensive, and none of them work very well.

The Mares Laig is a cute toy, but not a practical gun. It would NOT replace a pistol. Getting one and putting a full-size stock on it, now - THAT would make a nice short gun. You'd have to paper it as a SBR, though, and pay the 200 dollar tax.

In 30/30, you pretty much have a choice between the Winchester, at 6 pounds, and the Marlin at 8 pounds. The Marlin does not kick very hard, but it is heavy as hell to tote around. The Winchester is much nicer to carry, but because it's so light can really do a number on your shoulder. And whichever one of those you pick, it's only 6 rounds.

I've heard bad things about both of the guns, lately. Rossi was bought by Taurus, and Taurus makes crap, so Rossi has gone downhill. Marlin was bought by the new owners of Remington, and since the buyout, Marlin has gone downhill. So sayeth the web-gossip.

I'm just glad I got all mine several years ago.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. Kristie

Kristie Member

I'm looking into the rod guide. Need to find out if Wal-Mart/Farm and Fleet or a local gun shop would have a reasonable one.

I don't think I'd like a Blackhawk at the moment, if at all, because I honestly think it'll be too heavy/cumbersome. I think I might've actually handled one before but I can't remember if that's what it was or not. Probably was, because I was considering a .357 single action before I got my .22, and I think I changed my mind because the one place around here that had a .357 gave me a hassle and they decided to refuse to sell it to me. I think they thought I couldn't handle it and they were really, really pushing some classes/training first. And this was after I'd been there once, was waiting for them to get one with the barrel I wanted, and then they decided to pull that crap on me. It's a shame, because it's a really cool place, but I'll never go back there again. That place has a reputation of doing that kind of thing to anyone who goes in there, but I found that out afterwards....

Yeah, I know that shooting 100 rounds of .38s won't feel great, but I don't think I ever plan on shooting that many at once anyway. Maybe just one box of 50 at a time. :D

I really am liking that GP 100 at this point. And I don't see myself getting replacement grips, either. I'm just going to make sure the ones I get are comfortable for me before I buy it. You guys probably do stuff like that all the time because this is your hobby, but I really don't want to have to spend any more extra. I do like those fiber optic sights, though!

Graehaven - Yeah, I'm serious about this being a SHTF weapon, and I've seen the recommendation of an AR over and over. But I think a lever gun can shoot pretty fast, and at this large a caliber, the capacity it holds is just fine with me. I can see the benefit of an AR, yes, but if I had one, I don't think I'd ever use it just for plinking because it's not something I'm familiar with/interested in, so it just doesn't seem practical to me. And as for deciding against the 9 mm., yes, that was mostly because of wanting to have a paired longgun and pistol. But also because it's not considered that great of a defensive round.
  7. 01brian

01brian New Member

I just got the GP100. I absolutly love it. My wife shot it (38 and 357) and loves it too. In fact, I dumping my 9mm SIG today. The GP does everything I need it to do. When discussing SHTF weapons everyone is different. I think the most important thing is to train whatever you have.

ps, i opted out of AR's too...and went with the ranch rifle (mini 14).
  8. graehaven

Thanks. I was NOT confused at all.

He mentioned a SHTF rifle BEFORE the .357 carbine, and they are demonstrably 2 different things.

He also mentioned that he'd be willing to look at something other than the .357. Which is why I mentioned the AR platform.

No confusion. Just a better alternative offered.
  9. graehaven

The 9mm round in several defensive offerings are more than adequate for a SHTF situation. Expense seemed to be an issue with you. 9mm ammo is more affordable than .357.

An AR will shoot faster, more accurately at long distances, and offers the ability to put far more lead down range than any lever gun. And it's faster to reload. All things that MATTER in a SHTF situation.

If you really want a pair of .357 guns that's fine. More power to you. I just don't think there's evidence enough to suggest that they fit the bill of a SHTF setup. YMMV. Good luck.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

When you all use the acronym SHTF you presuppose your own independent ideas of likely scenarios. Without a consensus of what these scenarios might be, it's difficult for one person to advise another as to what their needs might be. In fact all of our planning is based on pure speculation. What will be the circumstances when the SHTF? Will we face world wide famine, earthquakes, giant tsunamis, EMP's, race riots, suspension of the constitution and martial law, an armed invasion by Pakistani paratroopers, or all of the above???

Those of us with military experience and preparing to engage larger enemy forces will likely select the AR or AK, while others anticipating natural disasters might choose arms appropriate for hunting the local game in whatever region they may be in, and only infrequent self defense against hostile humans.

Realizing we may be on foot in any number of circumstances we try to economize in the selection of the gear we will have to carry. In this respect, having a rifle and handgun in the same caliber could be an advantage, avoiding the need to stock up and transport multiple calibers of ammunition. Another choice might be a high power scoped rifle for hunting large game and possibly sniping an enemy? It might be that the best all around choice for a SHTF scenario would be a .22 LR.

Making that choice is somewhat of a crap shoot. I would be hard pressed to choose only one or two firearms. Do you give up your AR and hundreds of rounds for a 12 ga with much less ammo? Each individual must carefully consider for himself what events are most likely to occur, and what his or her needs would be. Unless you will be hunkering down in one spot, the equipment choices one makes requires consolidation and economy.

Besides economy, in any speculation of future events we must expect the unexpected. One thing I've learned in life is that nothing ever happens the way I anticipated. If you prepare for one specific type of event, you could find yourself woefully unprepared for your circumstances. One would look rather silly humping a snorkel and fins in the desert.

Another critical factor in our equipment choices is maintenance and reliability. What equipment is most likely to fail and what is your capability of making repairs? My guess would be that a revolver is far more reliable and less likely to break than any semi auto pistol though lacking in capacity and slower to reload.

Let's not forget our own skills and abilities. Some people might be quite proficient with a 9mm but not be able to hit squat with a .45 or .357. Whatever your choices training with them is essential. Besides my meager stores I know I personally need much more range time than I've been getting. Taking advanced combat courses in handgun, rifle, and shotgun is essential if one is to survive a real world scenario.

The bottom line is that each individual has to consider many factors in their selection of a SHTF firearm(s), and I don't think any of us can decide that for someone else. JMHO
  11. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Kristie,
    I think you're on the right track.....
    you are doing very well on your own
    despite it all.
    This link will show you what rod guide I was referring to,
    although this is a complete kit. I was simply talking about
    one of the brass guides [tapered] that you can see
    three of in the picture.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Basic-...&qid=1353504491&sr=1-24&keywords=cleaning rod

edit: Aha, found one....this is the rod guide...

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Shot-Fits...qid=1353506063&sr=1-350&keywords=cleaning rod

If you choose a GP-100 you most likely will never
    want to change the grip anyway. The rubber grip that
    comes on it will handle hot loads....and holds very comfortably.

The grip change I meant was for the smaller SP-101.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  12. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

My humblest apologies grae
    I am old and I simply mis-read
    your ten (10) :confused: emoticons in a row.

Old, maybe, but I can still HEAR.
  13. Kristie

Kristie Member

RunningOnMT - Thanks for that, that was a great post. It is sure hard to plan for something so hypothetical.

Ozo - Thanks for the links. I might just get one of those online, but I hate to pay shipping. :rolleyes:
  14. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Just look for a guide anytime you are out and about....
    If you get in Gander Mountain or similar....they should have one.
    If you decide to get a new cleaning rod, some of them come with
    a rod guide.....well, KleenBore brand does anyway....and one
    right here in front of me...from Gander....is a KleenBore
    Model No. DR-102 33" w/rod guide and good for calibers .22thru.45
    which will work on both your rifles......just an FYI.
  15. Kristie

Kristie Member

Just for kicks, I did a search of the forums for bore guide and came up with all of these threads about rod vs. snake, and all I have to say now is :eek:. And now I'm wondering why you recommended a bore guide for a lever action. I'm not sure I'd really like to have to take the gun apart to take the bolt out. No one really seems to talk about the ones that go in the muzzle and I wonder why that is? Too many bolt action users out there? Maybe the best thing I can do is get a coated cleaning rod instead and not worry about doing anything else. I was disappointed with the variety of cleaning rods they had at Gander. All I could find was aluminum, which I was annoyed about. Lots to think about.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012