Rifle easier to find than .357

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Kristie, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you. No applause, please. Just throw money.

Confucius was the one that said a picture is worth a thousand words, right? :D
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

indeed it is. :thumbsup:
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

44 spl is a great defense round. Ire load a lot of 44 spl from time to time.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

What?

a bore snake will wear out your barrel moreso than an aluminum rod? I'm lost there.

And if you need to clean from the breach because you might accidentally have a round in the chamber, you need some serious education on firearms safety, just sayin'

that's how folks shoot themselves while 'cleaning' their guns. just doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

the M1A is a good example of clean only from the muzzle direction due to design, a 20g shotgun hull with the primer anvil/flashole drilled out makes a great bore guide FWIW at this point. plenty of cheap alternatives to the expensive cleaning gizmos offered.

and cleaning from the muzzle (although I certainly prefer the other way if I had the choice) is just fine, been cleaning some of my guns like that for many a moons and all shoot just as good as they did originally.

SHTF scenario, everyone's needs may be different and vary by 'disaster' or whatever cause.

But guns like the AR, M1A, AK have more advantages in more scenarios than pretty much anything else.

Firepower, range, accuracy and ammo choices not to mention commnality.

you could use a special purpose gun to snipe me at 1000m and say that's all you'll ever need but if I sneak up and smoke you at 100 with my 'innaccurate' AK, well, you lose.

or if you only think close range is all you need and find yourself in the open with a .22 LR pistol against a guy with a semi rifle... well, you lose...

there's a reason the miltary accross the globe use semi auto 'assault' rifles... they are most effective in 99% of scenarios.

so not to slight RunningOMT, but there is a 'best' league of firearms out there for everyone. But for certain, some will choose what they think makes best sense to them and fair enough.

the saying, 'beware of the man with only one gun, for he knows how to use it' is a fair statement also. If you can shoot the eye out of a hawk flying with your old XYZ bolt gun that you've reloaded a million times in a hurry, well, that's what you should use and keep.
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Did you mean clean from the muzzle? You do know what a breach is don't you?
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Alpo...or maybe JLA because I know you test this stuff; how much does the bullet shape effect velocity? And secondly, do the wad cutters and flatter nosed bullets tend to tumble in shorter pistol calibers? They sure don't look very aerodynamic.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Bullet shape directly effects Ballsitic co-efficient which is the bullets ability to retain velocity. Bullet composition, weight, and length of bearing surface effect pressures generated with a particular powder charge which determines how much velocity is generated.. Once the bullet leaves the bore it begins to slow down. How fast that happens depends on its BC vallue. Of course this is all moot if your rifling pitch and velocity isnt sufficient enough to impart the required RPM for the bullet to be stable in flight.

Confused yet??

As to the Aluminum cleaning rod VS boresnake.. Boresnakes wont wear a bore.. at all. they are bronze bristles sewn into a nylon rope. An aluminum rod will wear a bore in that it is a softer metal and collects dirt and grit and acts as a lap. Most people wont notice any accuracy damage because most people do well to shoot minute of grapefruit at 100 yds. But take an aluminum rod to a heavy bench gun that is capable fo .150" groups at 100 yds and start cleaning it with an aluminum rod and it wont be long before the best itll do is .500"

I also advise against aluminum or steel rods. I use Bore snakes, Carbon fiber rods and Bore guides.

BTW, AA, that shotshell trick is fricken genious..
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Have you ever chronographed the difference in velocities of various shaped bullets of the same grain wt...fired from the same gun?

As to aluminum damaging steel; a real good way to prove that aluminum will damage steel is to take a piece of high polished stainless steel and firmly run a piece of aluminum back and forth across the surface, then notice the scratches in the ss. Whenever there's friction between too different metals, there is deformation produced on both, though the softer metal may sustain more deformation.
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

"One thing of which you should be aware, the Hornady owner is a big Obama supporter. A lot of folks are boycotting them for this reason."---ROMT

This is his sister.....yes , a family run biz.....
    and mostly her loser lib anti-gun husband........
    Her brother, the CEO, has several statements
    in rebuttal for his sisters views and his BIL's
    lame stance and beliefs......

Google Margaret Hornady and her hubby David....
    I can't seem to find the rebuttal and his stance on
    the 2A from her brother, the CEO......but he AIN'T
    happy with his sisters s**t !

He assures us that his ground is firm on the 2A...
    despite the lameness of his sister and hubby.

I don't know what the actual truth is...between
    his ears, but he says [CEO] that he stands NOT
    with his sister.....nor does Hornady, the company.
  10. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

And... a 2' ninja fishing rod.....
    and a good black dog !!! :D:D:D:cool:
  11. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

When you go to the store to look at ammo
    for your tubular magazine Rossi .357............
    Simply, all you want to make sure of is that
    the 'nose' of the projectile WILL NOT be pointed
    in shape as to contact the primer on the round
    in front of it, in the tubular magazine.
    Easy.....open the box of ammo, take out two
    rounds, and hold them in line to one another,
    putting the nose of one against the primer of
    another, and see if you think it would hit the
    primer upon any impact or shock...in the magazine.
    The .38 and the .357 are REVOLVER rounds, and in a
    revolver cylinder, they never touch each other.....
    but end to end in a tube mag.....upon recoil shock,
    one projectile can ignite the primer in front of it.....
    if that makes clear sense, if the projectile is pointed
    enough to impact the primer it is resting against.
    It is rare to ever happen.....but can.
  12. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Not a guessing game, just physics....
    plain, simple.
    For those of us that re-load, it is so
    easy....we pick our components for the task
    at hand.
    Once you grasp what to look for......
    it's a cake walk into town. :):)
  13. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Kristie
    You just keep going forward
    on the path that you are on.......
    You have done an incredible job so far......
    And you keep asking and you keep telling.....
    For someone that hasn't 'been one' [shooter]
    for even a year yet......you are far ahead of
    so many that I see on a regular basis.....that have been
    on their path for far longer than you.
    Kudos to you and your achievements so far.....
    Now, the GP-100..........
    you will be so happy........:)
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

cant say i have directly. Im sure I have and if I go thru my notes ill be able to put the 2 together but I have not compared them directly.

Generally the higher the pressure the higher the velocity. So lets talk .45s for a sec, a 230 gr bullet with a stubby nose profile and a long bearing surface will run at a higher velocity than a 230 gr bullet with a long round nose profile and a shorter bearing surface, powder charges being equal..
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

That's great news ozo because I love Hornady ammo...quality stuff at a comparatively reasonable price.
  16. Kristie

Kristie Member

Wow, thanks - it doesn't feel like I know what I'm doing at all. Maybe I'm a faster learner than I realized. Guess I'm young enough to adapt, or something.

I might be rethinking the GP-100 after seeing how much the .357 kicks in the Rossi. I don't know now. I might consider a heavier-framed revolver. But the downside is it might be too heavy, then. Grrr, decisions decisions. Could be I just need to get used to the round a little more. We'll see.
  17. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well, that's two of us.

I was quite shocked to find out how much recoil the 92 has in 357. It's pretty close to a 94 in 30/30. It's a heavier bullet, and while it's not quite as fast, the gun is about a pound lighter. To put it plainly, that gun kicks.

Now, I got 92s in 32/20, 357, 38/40, 44/40, 44 magnum and 45 Colt. None of the others, and that includes the 44 magnum, kick as much as the 357. I mostly shoot 38s in mine, simply because it is more comfortable.

Don't get me wrong. It's not like touching off a 458 Win Mag, but it's not like shooting a 22, either.

But I had about decided, based on stuff others post, that I was the only one in the world with a 357 rifle that kicked.
  18. Kristie

Kristie Member

Now that is very interesting! Here I thought I was just being a wimp or something. ;) Or that maybe the rounds of 357 I was using had too many grains. So maybe I'm worrying about the revolver unnecessarily. Hmmmmm. I didn't think it was that uncomfortable, but I found myself hesitating longer to pull the trigger trying to get myself ready for the kick. It probably could've gotten uncomfortable, but I only tried 10 rounds. I'm sure I'll be shooting mostly 38s in it anyway.
  19. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

no, I meant breach; the chamber end, not from the muzzle.

He had said one of the reasons to clean from the chamber/breach end was that it ensured there wasn't a round in there versus cleaning from the muzzle or business end would not until you already had the cleaning device inside the bore.

It's just my opinion that if that's even a reason to clean from the chamber end, firearms safety needs some serious attention.

I hear stories all the time where someone was 'cleaning' their gun when it went off! Darwinism at it's finest...
  20. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Gotcha. He was a nitwit.