Rifle easier to find than .357

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Kristie, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

In a .22cal
    and a .38cal

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      24.2 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      44.4 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      46.8 KB
      Views:
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

.357cal
    .32cal

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
    • 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      45.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Got that right. This is my son-in-law shooting my elephant gun. Hear me tell him, "Pull it into your shoulder". Watch him NOT do it. Notice how shots 2 and 3 did not kick him anywhere NEAR as hard as #1 did. He pulled it in on those two.

[​IMG]
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Very well said and something I didn't really think much about until I bought my .458 win mag; that thing is NOT a prone gun! Offhand, it doesn't hurt at all, just a nice push. Sitting is pretty tolerable also.

even shooting the magnum on the bench is brutal as I rest my entire upper body on the table; recoil is almost all in the shoulder also.
  5. Kristie

Kristie Member

Thanks, guys! I love the visual replies. I'm a visual person anyway, so that's just right for me to see what you're talking about. Since my other rifle is a .22, and the .22 muzzle guard seems like it'll be big enough. The Hoppes one should be fine, then, right, even though it looks like it's not as long as the others? As for the cleaning rod, I think the one I just got was for .22 and up, so that should work.

Alpo, that video had me laughing! See, it made more sense to me to keep it not as tight, so then it's farther away from the shoulder and less likely to come in as much contact with it. But I see that the exact opposite is actually true. Going to have to test that out and see for myself now.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its a velocity thing Kristie. If you fire a rifle away from your shoulder the recoil will shove the rifle into your shoulder harder because it wasnt met with any resistance to begin with. IF you have it snug in the pocket before lighting off the round its less likely to hurt you.
  7. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Alpo and JLA are 100% correct, hold it firmly against your shoulder, I made the mistake of assuming that you were already doing so, and did not mention it, I would bet though, that soon, the felt recoil won't even be noticed,

In case I missed someone already talking about this, you are not going to notice any difference in ammo, accuracy wise anyway, by shooting 5 of one followed by 5 of another and reapeat/so on, doesn't work that way, if you want to see how a certain kind of ammo performs, start with a clean gun, shoot one kind if ammo, clean/cooldown gun, change targets, and then try another brand, so all things are equal, each time, for each brand of ammo, compare targets later for results,

You won't get any kind of accurate, measurable results(strictly talking about accuracy here)by shooting 5 of one kind, followed by 5 of the next kind etc., just doesn't work that way,

I haven't read everything on this post yet, so this may have been covered already, if so, I just wasted a little time, if not, then it's something for you to think about,

This is especially imortant when trying to find which brand of .22 is most accurate out of a given gun, if I switch brands in the middle of a shooting session, it takes several shots for the rifle to settle down and adjust to the different brand of ammo before it starts to group tightly again, not positive exactly why, but that's what happens.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  8. Kristie

Kristie Member

Thanks, 1 Eyed Jack - none of what you said has been previously mentioned. This is a tricky business, huh? I'll have to try it out that way and see what happens.

Just as an update: I went to buy the GP 100 yesterday and all they had was a blued version which I promptly turned up my nose at. :rolleyes: I also handled the SP 101 with a 2" barrel and didn't like it much. Anway, they ordered in the correct GP 100 from another store, so I should hear from them sometime this week.
  9. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Well you are persistant, I'll give you that, you decided what you wanted and went after it, I think it would have taken me a while to decide on a combo like this, so far you seem to be happy with the rifle, I hope you are also happy with the GP 100, and the set as a whole,

Keep us updated,
  10. 01brian

01brian New Member

Nice Choice! I love mine :) I found some deals on-line for 38 and 357 ammo to practice/plink too. The 357 has a little kick to it, but my wife and kids all shoot it and enjoy it as well. Great thread too, i'm glad you posted here...I've learned a ton from all the responses too.
  11. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I'm very glad to see that you chose the GP-100 first.
    Start with .38special rounds in her until you get used
    to her.
    There is plenty of time for the .357's.......later.
  12. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

I was looking at the GP 100, I generally prefer the blued look, but for some reason this particular handgun looks better to me in a nickel/silver finish, don't know why but it does, and the longer barrell'ed version looks very nice, the grips are not real attractive to me, but they just look comfortable and functional, which of course is more important, function first, form 2nd,
  13. Kristie

Kristie Member

1 Eyed Jack - I think I decided so fast because I'm not as into this stuff as much as you guys, so you know there are a lot more options out there than me. My research zeroed me into a small amount of choices right off the bat or I wouldn't have decided so quickly. I usually take forever to think things through and drive myself nearly nuts in the process. This wasn't too bad. Of course, the rifle was easiest, since I found out there was only one I could readily get. I almost went for a Smith and Wesson, but I like that Rugers are at least a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I also decided on the Ruger based on the fact that my other pistol is one and I really like it, and the fact that so many guys have said their wives like it. I don't consider myself wimpy about guns, but they do scare me just enough that that kind of frequent endorsement was reassuring to me. As for the grips, I hate how they look, I've got to say. The smooth wooden grips on my Single Six (.22) are what I like, but this pistol is a different animal. I think they'll be really helpful for keeping a tight hold against the recoil. But like ozo suggested, I think I will be sticking to those .38s for a while. But just based on looks, the stainless steel and the 4" barrel was a no brainer. I think my rifle is OK, yeah, as long as it functions fine I'll like it. (I feel like I keep saying that, like I'm worried about it still a little.) Need to take some time to get to like it better, though. And I'm still thinking about a bolt action next but haven't even begun to be able to decide on a caliber yet because I don't know if this is going to be another "serious" gun or just another plinker.

01brian - Yeah, I never start threads on any boards unless I really feel like I need help. And I didn't even know I needed as much advice as I did. I have learned a lot, too! I love message boards for how awesome people can be and this thread is a perfect example.
  14. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

A taste of what you will have....

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      134.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size: