Rifle for Moose

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by MainNutz, Sep 9, 2012.

1. MainNutz

MainNutz New Member

I have a question on the calibre of choice of anyone who has or does hunt Moose at long ranges. I currently hunt with a WIN 270 but want to move up to another calibre that I can shoot at longer ranges, with the WIN 270 I limit any shot to under 175 yards but do want to be able to shoot at longer ranges. I know the 30-06 would be a good choice but have also looked at the 300 WIN Mag. Any sugestions? I also plan to start reloading my own ammo very shortly.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF MainNutz ! Where ya at in AK? My sis and BIL and family all hunt moose up there, they live in Haines. Mainly use a 338WinMag, but have also used the 30-06 at shorter ranges.

300WinMag is a good solid choice though. The key to reaching out at longer ranges is getting much practice at those long range shots.
  3. MikeH121

MikeH121 New Member

30-06 would work. Rugar American Rifle aorund 400 dollars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO0jrt8GoTU
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

My boys and I have taken over 20 moose with an old Rem 7 mag, none walked off. One was at 700 yards. Last year we got 3 bulls with an AR-10 338 fed; none walked off. More have been shot with 30-30s than any other gun. I had a Indian Woman neighbor that killed over 30 moose bothering her horses over the years, with an old 243. Moose have a pie plate kill zone, they go down easy. I currently use a 30-378 for longer shots and I think I would use the 300 win mag you now have. We got one so far this season, small bull with 30-378, using 165 GMax hornadys about 200 yards; didn't go anywheres.

I've actually been wanting to kill one with my 6.8 stag, just haven't got the chance yet but I'm sure the 6.8 would kill a moose.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Zhurh would be the one to seriously take advice from since he's in the same state and knows the size of the critters up in your area.
    I know the alaskan meece :) are larger than the ones we've got here in the upper midwest states but I don't know exactly by how much.
    Both .270 & .30-06 are very common calibers to use on them around here...except for those few "overkill" guys that run around with .338Mag and larger trying to shoot their animals from a 1/4mile away.

For what it's worth though, if you're currently using the .270 you're not gaining much by loving up to just the .30-06. With the .30-06, you're gaining a heavier bullet weight selection but really aren't stretching your range out any appreciable amount.
    My recommend would be to move up to one of the belted magnums like the 7mmRemMag or 300WinMag.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

7MM, 30 CAL, anything else you want is fine; the biggest factor in your purchase is the range you are intending to shoot at. The 300 win mag (and 300 h&h ect...) are basically 30 cal bullets at greater than 30-06 velocities. The may be in longer or shorter cases, but they are still .30 cal. There are also 7.62x54 R and 8mm rounds to consider, but define your intended shooting range and conditions (uphill downhill ect...) before deciding. My .02 only.
  7. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

7mm Mags rock! :) Shoot flat and I think it would get the job done. Next step for me would be the .338 Lapua Mag. Just because.
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Remember this: 7 mag, 160 nosler partitions;;; You will always find the bullet inside the back side of hide. Never penetrates to exit the skin, expends all that power inside the moose.
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

338 Lapua Magnum