The Firearms Forum banner

Rifle for shots up to 1000yds

19K views 77 replies 34 participants last post by  joedapro 
#1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum. i like what i see so far.
I have been shooting handguns for some time and carry every where i go, but am somewhat green in the area of long range capable rifles. i am looking at getting a factory rifle that can be upgraded as my shooting improves and that might have the capablity of going out to 1000yds or so. I don't want to brake the bank initially, but woud like to be able to upgrade to a combination that lends itself to sub-moa groupings after a while.
I've got a few in mind, but would like to see what more experienced shooters throw out for options.

thanks,

Kings

G
#2 ·
Welcome to TFF, Kings! Trust me, you'll like it here.

A thousand yards is long distance shooting for virtually any rifle, though it is certainly true that competitions at that range are very common. We have them at our range quite often using M1 Garands with open sights, and also sporting rifles like the Remington 700 in 30-06, .300 Win Mag and several other calibers. Virtually any of the .30 calibers will reach out that far (and even further), though terminal velocity and energy suffer greatly at such distance. If you're really looking for MOA capability at 1000 yards, however, look to the newer .50 caliber rifles chambering the BMG (Browning Machine Gun) round. With proper tuning, these rifles will do pretty close to MOA.

#4 ·
Glad to see you at TFF, kings.

Hope you will drink coffee with us and join the family.

#6 ·
Are we, here, talking 'taking scalps', or, punching paper?
A friend of mine, J.J.Conway, recently missed winning the "Queens Cup" matcch, in Canada, out of no more than American (US) citizenship; he set 7 new Canadian records, in the process! Shooting a .22-250, with a 7" twist barrel, 78 Gr bullets, and reading the wind like he blew it, he shoots sub 8" groups at 1000 yds!
Prolly ain't enough energy to kill a rabbit, at those ranges, but the bullet cuts paper,and cleanly. Enough to win a match!

If you want a 1000 yd 'hammer', we're into the .338 Win Mag/.375 H&H class rifle, something that will tear your head off, out there, and come close, to doing the same, right here! Personally, I like the .375 H&H, because it so well duplicates '06 ballistics, only, with a lot more juice!
But, then, I'm a recoil junkie, and absorb that sort of (?) punishment, like a sponge.
Having just sent a 20 year old into west Texas, with a 9 pound .375 H&H, keeping the 6 pounder, for future use, you may get the picture; I like easy carry, and sure results, above all else; the rifle the youngster is carrying, btw, is more accurate than mine; so much for balance, in values.

#8 ·
the current long distance / small group holder utilized a REMINGTON MODEL 721 action...

much modified, but the action itself must be 50 years old...

a REM. 721 dropped into a REM. 700 bechrest or tactical / target / sniper stock and perhaps a bull BBL and a custom trigger (good glass needed) will compete with the big boys at a fraction of the price...

best / strongest commercial bolt action ever manufactured.

just a thought.

best regards, mike.

#10 ·
the 721 / 722 / 725 came after the commercialy sold PATTERN 1917 clone...

these series / family of guns were the precursors to the MODEL 700 line...

they are sleepers.

we have 2 721`s, both are tackdrivers even after 50 years, still in there original factory configuration...

the best building platform for the money you will ever find...

for serious long range work or Wildcats i prefer the FN commercial action, but the price is much higher...

best regards, mike.

#11 · (Edited)
Mark, the 720/721 actions are the parents of the 700/40X actions we shoot today; the M-30, and it's parent, the 1917, were both wartime, rail type actions, the 720/721, "pipe" actions, which heat treated better, distorted less, and were cheaper, as well as more accurate, than any rifle gone before.
The modern M-700 actions have the virtue of better mettalurgy: the 72x series, of competent machinists, and assemblers, leaving the final call to God.
One, in my opinion, is as good as the other, if the guy who winds the rifle together is 'on track',in his trade; both families of actions will out shoot the shooter, in almost every case, if well built.
Now, let's cut to the chase.
Recoil =fatigue, and a 1000 yard match takes a while, so, fatigue is a factor.
The .22-250, in a remington based platform, with a 1-7" barrel, would allow you the minimum recoil, with 78GR VLD bullets, on a maximum accuracy platform;shooting paper, this is where I want to be!
If ever, I hunt men, again, it is far too little energy, at range. For this chore, the same basic platform, but in a caliber on the order of the .375 Improved, or the .338 Lapua; nothing less. I will only fire, tops, 2 shots, but they must have the juice to do the job, at whatever range, or angle, conclusively, as cameras are watching!
Control back to you: what are we shooting, at 'up to 1000 yds'?.

#12 · (Edited)
I have had great success with a custom built 22-243 for shooting 1000 yrds. One of my best friends built the rifle on a rem 700 action. The gun itself has had about 1000 rounds shot through it and it will still shoot 5 shot groups that measure in the .1's which is damn good by any standards. The problem is it is not enough gun to make clean kills on coyotes past 650-700 yrds, and to make a clean shot at that range you have to have your ducks in a row if you know what i mean. This brings me to a new Q can anyone tell me about the 6.5x.284 round such as barrel life and recoil. Also is anyone from OK in this forum or like to shoot tac matches. Thanks for all the help.

#16 ·
The list of rifles that can shoot 1,000yds is long hitting the 3'target at 1,000yds is the hard part.It takes expensive rifle optics and spotting scopes many of us cant afford.But if you have the money go for it long distance shooting is fun and a good sport,we loved it when in the service.

#18 · (Edited)
.308 155hpbt palma @ 3,000fps will go to 1,000 yards easy
Yup, it will. Won many an agg, and a lot of matches! Problem is, at 1000, wind and mirage!

The .45-70, the Martini .450-577, and others were shot at 2000 yds, in the "Sandy Hook" trials, accurately, though the bullet holes were somewhat oval, in a vertical target!
With accurate range estimation, the .308 is as good as it gets, for accuracy: on this, we agree.
When I do not have a laser rangefinder, and the target is estimated to be at between 1000-1300 Yds, and it is a "Must eliminate" mission, now, what???
Steve Cunny, an old accomplice of mine, said "Bigger Bullets", got a .50BMG bolt gun, and ran right out there, and smacked them!
Bigger bullets.ie.those with better ballstic co efficients, forgive a lot,in range estimation.

#20 ·
My current 1000 yd paper puncher is this Savage mod 10 FP in .308. It didn't break the bank but I had a few modifcations done. Sharpshooter trigger, match chamber, improved bedding, barrel re-crown, and good glass.

I replaced the stock after these pics were taken. I have less than $1000 in the rifle and it is a constant winner.

Attachments

#21 ·
Again, I must ask, WTF are we doing, at this range?
Shooting paper, people, or just what?
For paper, I can use a .22, with a vld bullet, and look like a hero, with numbers; shooting people, at that range, requires a bit more energy, than it can provide. If we are deathly serious, about the task, I will vote for the.375H&H Improved, with no hesitation, as it just 'does the job', every time.

G
#24 ·
I shot 1000 yard competition with an 03-A3 in the late '40s, early '50s with aperature sight rear, hooded front with ring insert. I was not a national quality shooter, but I did manage to drive the local 'scope shooters nuts. :D

I'd dearly love to have Roy Weatherby's experimental .22 I shot once in '52. Weatherby 30 Magnum case, 120 grain solid copper .22x bullet, loaded with a whole lot of something-hot powder. Had trouble figuring out which end of the rifle was more dangerous, but it poked holes where you were looking at really looooong range. :D:D:D

Pops

#26 ·
I know my Mosin can shoot up to 1000 meters and the 91/30 can go, up to, 2000 meters. K98s acn go up to 1000 meters, too. (I love surplus)

If you want to spend (waste) more $, then a good Remington 7xx/7xxx series can do the job, nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.