The Firearms Forum banner

Rifle for shots up to 1000yds

19K views 77 replies 34 participants last post by  joedapro 
#1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum. i like what i see so far.
I have been shooting handguns for some time and carry every where i go, but am somewhat green in the area of long range capable rifles. i am looking at getting a factory rifle that can be upgraded as my shooting improves and that might have the capablity of going out to 1000yds or so. I don't want to brake the bank initially, but woud like to be able to upgrade to a combination that lends itself to sub-moa groupings after a while.
I've got a few in mind, but would like to see what more experienced shooters throw out for options.

thanks,

Kings

#77 ·
Hello fellow shooters.
I am brannie new to your forum but like what I see this morning with my first cup.

I grew up in Wy shooting nearly every day from early age.
I started my own trap line at age 8 and made more money most months than my dad did with our ranch or his being on the Hiway patrol. My little bro did the same and is now 63 and still runs his traps and snares.

Anyway I have never been able to shoot at paper and do well with scores. However prairie dogs is another thing all together. I try to get back to the ranch to see my son and brother at least 3 or 4 times every summer to catch trout and shoot prairie dogs. Not necessarily in that order.

I have a queston for you though.

I have read much about 1000 yd shooters and even the Leg match shooters with open sights and sub 3" groups at 500 yds open sight.
To me that is pretty fair shooting.

But as to the platform.
I recently bought a Blaser R93 LRS 2 with two barrels in 223 and 22-250 and have never shot a more accurate gun in my life.
I own several 700s and a couple of Ruget M77 in everything from 223 to 257 Roberts and they are certainly tac drivers but nothing compared to the R93.
I took dogs out to 738 yds last summer with the out of the box 22-250 barrel in my R93

Have any of you tried this gun in bigger bore for paper shooting at longer range? I wondered because I thought about buying one and using it to try long range shooting.

Thanks and I really enjoy reading your posts guys.

UncleFudd

#78 ·
The list of rifles that can shoot 1,000yds is long hitting the 3'target at 1,000yds is the hard part.It takes expensive rifle optics and spotting scopes many of us cant afford.But if you have the money go for it long distance shooting is fun and a good sport,we loved it when in the service.
most service rifles do it easily with open sights. a quality ar upper with competition sights costs $700, a konus spotting scope costs $200. so long as you can get to the target supersonic you are good to go. for instance a 20 inch bbl with a 77 or 80 grain sierra, and a 1/7 twist. the toughest part is not the cost of the hardware, it is your skill at reading the wind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.