1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Rifle for shots up to 1000yds

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by kings, Aug 17, 2006.

1. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

I still favor the .416 Chey-Tac for extreme long range target interdiction...It's one bad mutha-shut-yo-mouf rifle system....Check'em out on their website and some of the videos on youtube.com(go and search for .416 Chey-Tac)

www.cheytac.com
  2. Bravo1

Bravo1 New Member

i have a custom built for 1,000yrd bench rest in 6.5-284win. it is a wonderful cal. and very accurate my next 1,000yrd gun will be .280AI. i have also been doing alot of shooting at 1,000yrd with my .338Lapua i had built last year, now theres a 1,000yrd caliber if there ever was one.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  3. LongRifles

LongRifles New Member

Here are two examples of 1000 yard rifles.

These do break the bank I'm afraid.

International PALMA Rifle Chambered in 308 Winchester.

[​IMG]

This is another PALMA rifle with a synthetic stock. The young stud holding it is Kyle Leibertrau, last years Junior National Champion and the 2007 World Champion in both the Jr individual and team events. He is the captain for the US Jr. PALMA Team.

While all this may sound interesting, the impressive part is this is all done without bi pods, sand bags, or machine rests. It's two hands and one shoulder.

With Iron sights only.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  4. DeViNe

DeViNe New Member

LongRifles that is amazing! How much does one of those run?

How is everyones feelings on a 7mm magnum?
  5. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

That stock configuration looks very similar to my sister's Anschutz/Savage smallbore target rifle.

That little rifle, setup for my sister, would shoot little holes in paper at 100ft all day long.
  6. LongRifles

LongRifles New Member

Assuming you go top shelf on all components, figure a break down like this:

Barrel: 300-350
    Action: 1200-1500 (depending on features)
    Stock: 250-350
    R. Sight: 550
    R. Sight Aperture: 100-200
    F sight assy: 200 (my design)
    F sight globe: 200
    Trigger: 600 installed (my design)
    Assorted small parts: 300
    Labor:

Thread/chamber/crown/polish/engrave: 250
    "Stock" the b. Action: 1,500
    Paint: From 200

This works up to around $6,200.00

The rifle with the wood stock is my personal. It appraises for about 9K. This is largely due to the grade of wood used. Special Select English Walnut.

The "nesika" on the forend is inlaid with pewter.

A few other features are in this gun also that make it different from main stream Palma rifles.

Here's one more example. This belongs to a friend who lives down in Colorado. He shot for the 2003 US team. This one was professionally photographed by a guy in Seattle. Looks pretty cool. The paint is "2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 Gas tank blue".

[​IMG]
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

HOLY CRAP!!!, with an investment like that, it better be able to cook dinner, and clean the house...
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

JLA, the reason divorces are expensive, is because they are WORTH IT; either of those rifles is much less than half the legal expense, for my last!
    Spend the money, and buy a quality rifle, one with a verifiable 'pedigree', and 'history', or wail in the woods, wishing you had!
    Sorry about the numbers, I wish the were all 3 digits, and low threes, but that ain't how it works!
    Think about what you are asking; a man spends half his life, learning his trade, some better than most, and he should work for little to nothing?
    I do a small gunsmithing business, 'on the side', for projects that interest me, if they do not, there is not enough money...
    But, If I tell you it will shoot 'under a dime' at 100 yds, I will also send the target, and a flap from the ammo used, for confirmation.
    I do little but serious rimfire rifles, and generally, work without a 'budget', unless the project was one of my own rifles, sinse there is no telling what problems may be encountered, when it arrives.
    My 44 1/2 Stevens, I have about $1600 in 'real money' in, and it is my own (read that, all the work was free) rifle! A high end barrel can be in and of itself, a big bunch of money, fitting it, chambering it, etc, requires a ton of money in machinery that does not exist in most shops.
    The Sheldon, and Cadillac, lathes in my shop I could not replace for less than about 6K, each, in their present condition; I neither sleep with,nor desire to, with either, but they gotta be there, for me to do my business; who, then, should pay for them; me, or the folks for whom I do the near impossible work?
    I offer, quality costs money, high quality, a lot more, and perfection is priceless!
    More than one rifle having gone thru my shop was shipped with 'invoice to follow' status, yet never have I been 'stiffed' by the shooter; often the check comes in, before the bill goes out, and I have to send 'change'!
    No matter, except to emphasize the point; a 'really good rifle' is the product of a 'really good' 'smith, who spent alot of time and money, to get there!
    Pay the two dollars, or build it yourself.
    In the hallway is a rifle, a 52-D Winchester, with a Canjar set trigger, a Clyde Hart (1 1/2", end to end) Barrel that I paid more for, than a cheap car should cost.
    Took me three months to get it home, as i was 100 miles from there, on a motorcycle, when I bought it; no matter.
    Fine rifle, cost too much, shoots well, and mine for less than I could build it, but a lotta money, just the same.
    Simply, the price of quality.
  9. LongRifles

LongRifles New Member

Well they don't and these are not examples of what you must have in order to play in this arena. They are examples of what ends people go to when they take a very serious and committed approach to LR shooting.

There are many a hard hitting Remmy 700's on the firing points of 1000 yard matches all over the US. There's also a number of other action manufacturers besides Nesika.

Some guns look like they were stocked with a fence post. Others look as though they were patterned from a science fiction movie.

Common denominators to all good LR guns:

The meat of your budget must go to a perishable item, the barrel.

Second is sights/scope.

Tasco isn't going to cut it here.

A Leupold is the bare minimum

If you go irons, then Warner Tool Company is the only place to do your shopping.

Stocks can range from mild to wild. It's what fits well that matters.

Notice trigger isn't mentioned. I personally feel that a lousy trigger will still yield respectable results if a person practices with it and applies the fundamentals.

Triggers have nothing to do with accuracy, they just release the firing pin. They do have influence on how we are able to break shots though and that can be overcome with practice.

The rack grade M-16 or AR 15 trigger is a prime example.

You can do all this for about 3500 bucks. Any less and I really feel you are sacrificing points/accuracy.

Just get out the Visa and get to it. It's why they space the payments 30 days apart right?
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Long Rifle, you are correct that a trigger just releases the firing pin, but, as it is the ultimate 'interface' between man and machine,I feel you are a bit lacking in reverence for this 'little piece', the single 'point of contact, between shooter, and his gear.
    I just spent the price of a 'beater' car, with a barrel maker, and, while it does not make me happy to do so, I buy 'Cadillac' quality barrels, and no other, because they are truly the heart and soul of accuracy, well fitted.
    Douglass has provided some awesome tubes for hunting, and other 'fun guns', and with them I have no issues; Krieger, OTOH, has provided stress free, paper punch accuracy barrels, that simply shoot into one hole, until you wear them out.
    They got a bunch of my money, earlier today,
    But triggers, bro! They are the heart and soul of an accurate rifle! if you cannot loose a round, as conditions are right, without 'fighting' your gear, you are working very much 'uphill', in this game, to your disadvantage!
    Most of my 'accuracy' rifles wear triggers, in the two ounce range, some, without even provision for a safety, but the rifle cannot fire, with the bolt up, so this is a 'non issue'
    Respectfully, I suggest that no rifle can shoot better than it's operator allows, and the trigger is the 'interface', between them; the best is the only answer, if one truly strives for accuracy!
  11. LongRifles

LongRifles New Member

Ok, you got me. I said what I said earlier with the pretext of working within a rigid budget. I failed to mention that though. I'm also a bit of a hypocrite I guess because everyone one of my rifles either has a jewel set up to go off with the squeeze of a good fart. My palma rifle has a 500 dollar Grunig and Elmiger trigger on it and I recently spent another four hundred on a Carl Kenyon trigger.

I've also been developing a true two stage for Remingtons that will work on international palma rifles and course guns.

So I'll go eat one of my shoes now.

Thanks, I hate the taste of shoes. Especially mine cause my feet are rotten

OK, buy the best of everything and be done with it. Then bring it to me to fit up and just smile and grit your teeth as you sign the CC slip.

"Lean on the pen a little harder sir, you'll be allright. . ."
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Dont get me wrong guys, i do spend a ton of money on firearms, i just never really took a fancy to those real shiney lookin ones like the one LongRifles posted above. It is indeed a very nice weapon, but to me, just a toy. My interests lie with precision usage of practical weapons, by this, i mean a well fitted M1A, or a heavy barrelled bolt gun would be on the most expensive side of my wish list.
  13. LongRifles

LongRifles New Member

So perhaps something along these lines then?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

Longrifle, I am impressed, not just with the rifles, but that tasteful Gerstner Toolbox, on the bench, behind!
    You really do go First Class!
    My tastes run to Single shot, falling block actions, and pretty wood; their would really be some howls of pain, if a few of these fellers really knew what exceptonal wood can cost, and how quickly getting in a hurry, instead of 'making haste slowly' , can provide some of the most expensive firewood on the planet!
    Me, I drive an old truck, all my dogs are 'free dogs', as in 'rescues' from hopeless situations, owners, or both; they take a while to 'retrain' but it is a pleasureable 'break', from the bench, just to go out and work with them for a hour or two, making notes, all the while, about the progress they are making, and areas in need of more work; but even the dogs, unfortunately, I seem to have "Cadillac" taste; there's not a one that could have been bought, at 10-12 weeks, for three figures!
    The good news, once you have 'ruined', or someone else has, a dog, repair is possible!
    I have a five year old Australian Cattle Dog bitch (Many would call these 'Red', or 'Blue' 'Heelers', from the way they work stock), but there are no cheap, quality pups.
    Brandy has been here almost a year and a half, and has come from a too early and too often bred , and abused, terribly timid (Heelers bite, release, bite again, when scared, as a rule, OK on a ranch, not OK in town, but I have seen only two that would run from the sound of a strange voice, at the door, both had the physical and emotional scars of a lot of abuse.
    Both were successfully 'salvaged'; one placed on a ranch, north of here, in exchange for the use of the rancher's stock, pens, and land, to train others; the other will never leave my side!
    In both cases, the dogs are a tremendous asset, in 'retraining others' because they are as close to 'perfect' examples of what a good stock dog can, and should be, and the younger animals follow quickly, behavior they can watch, and see, bringing praise, and treats.
    Either would fetch 'mid fours', if offered for sale, but, obviously they will never be sold.
    Now, if I were a rich rancher, I don't know that the time I spent on dogs, would be well spent; I'm not, and they, like fine rifles, are worth the time and money to make as perfect as man's hand can make them!
    When I tell you I live in town, understand, it is the seventh largest city in the nation; the only time Brandy's on a lead is twice a year, at the vet's, because he chews my ass, if she is not! Interestingly, she has both ends of the leash, causes no problems, and out of the waiting room, we laugh about the fact!
    To those of you who wince at the cost of a good rifle, think about what one 'bite' off lead, could be worth!
    I offer this analogy simply to put some 'real world numbers' on things, and totally agree with Long Rifle.
    I know an Ex Air Force Shooter, who reads wind, mirage, light, like a book; the best spotter a shooter could ask for, since he quit shooting, and I love to have him on my scope, for the advice.
    When he was shooting, his rifles always cost more than his cars; go figger!
    But tell me a sport, where the sportsman could do better than his gear would allow!
    If you are a member of the Texas Rifle Association, the 'JJ Conway' Trophy may ring a bell; that's the guy; three or four years ago, in Canada, he 'out pointed' the guy who won the 'Queen's Medal' but could not claim it, as it must be awarded to a Canadian Citizen.
    That's "Cadillac Gear", and has a bit of expense, but as Longrifle said, "for everything else, there's Mastercard"
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

very nice, however, still probably a tad overdone.