The Firearms Forum banner

Rifle into Pistol question

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  HVance 
#1 ·
With all of the hurrah going around on "Green Tip" ammo, this got me to thinking about the conversion or alteration of a rifle or carbine into a 'pistol', and just how practical this idea is. I think most folks remember Josh Randall's (actor Steve McQueen) Mares Leg from 'Wanted: Dead or Alive". This was supposedly a .45-70 Gov't (????!!!!) caliber Model 1892 Winchester lever action carbine that was cut down into 'pistol configuration'. (In reality, it was actually a .44-40 or similar, and the .45-70 cartridges in his belt were for show only). Kind of getting off into the weeds, but I think you see where I'm going.

With the current controversy over M855 'green tip' 5.56mm ammo being used to kill Police Officers on a mass scale, the vast majority of 'pistols' that I've seen, are modified versions of the AR platform rifles. I have seen one single shot break open pistol advertised. The AR 'pistols' are huge - for a pistol. Josh Randall carried his Mare's Leg in a special holster rig, but was never concerned about the size of it. I GUESS you COULD carry an 'AR Pistol' in a holster of some sort, but it wouldn't be much better than trying to carry an M4 Carbine in a holster - but that is just my uninformed opinion.

There have to be some folks here who own an AR pistol. My question is this: Do you carry your pistol in a holster as a defensive tool for any extended period of time? If you do, is it Open Carry or Conceal Carry? By 'extended period of time - I don't mean just walking around the gun range, but working or driving - normal activities. Just curious. I'd like to have a reasonable answer if a non-gun owner were to ask if anyone used an AR pistol is a practical tool or a novelty.

See less See more
#3 ·
After I build my rifle(still waiting for lowers),I'm building a .300BO pistol with a 9.5 barrel to take on road with me.Between my Al ccw and Utah non-resident,I'm covered in every state I choose to drive in.As a pistol,it's covered by ccw.Excessive some may say,but they aren't delievering/parking in some of the crapholes I am.If you've ever been inside the 285 loop in Atlanta,you know what I'm talking about.

#4 ·
I personally can't see a reason for them, either as a viable SD tool, or as a viable tactical tool.

#6 ·
I can see a short barreled weapon - even if it has considerable bulk - being a useful tool if carried in a rack or something like that in a car or truck. In that case, you have a very short barrel carbine, and not so much as a pistol. That was why the Army came up with the M1 Carbine - to be more effective than a pistol yet shorter than a rifle for personnel who work in confined areas.

To clarify my question - I'm curious to hear from folks who carry an AR type pistol in a belt or shoulder holster as they would a Glock, 1911 or other conventional pistol. I am in no way against the idea. I would like to be able to say "Yes, people do actually carry these". That might make a good argument. Not that a good argument means anything to folks who are anti gun anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.