1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Rifle on Springfield Action

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by DixieLandMan, May 21, 2012.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I wanted to know what this gun is worth. A friend wants to trade something worth $600 for it. It has a cracked stock and I want to replace it with an original/factory new stock for it. Caliber is .30-06. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I would think that $600.00 cash (or anything in trade that you would actually give $600.00 for) is a good deal.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is the original military barrel, and it looks like the "sporterizing" job was not completed since the receiver is still in the Parkerized finish. But the conversion is too far along to try to restore the rifle to its military condition, so the best bet may be to either repair the stock (if possible) or replace the stock with another sporting style stock. Worth $600? Pretty marginal, it seems to me. If you want a sporterized Springfield, as a hunting rifle, and don't mind spending another few hundred on a good stock, go for it. If you want to "restore" the gun, it is not practical.

Jim
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Offer $500.00
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

You would have to replace more than just the stock to put it back into original configuration. The bolt handle and safety. Most likely the trigger and trigger guard are custom. Then you have to have a stock and all the metal parts. Then have the screw holes for the scope mounts filled in. Not feasible. I'd fix that stock or get a new one and enjoy it.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Whoever mounted the scope managed to get the rings different. Not a big deal, but sure looks funny. It also looks like the front base, which should be a two-screw base, is a single screw rear base. Now, that makes me wonder why. Maybe just a screwup or maybe the front holes are off and the normal front base won't fit. Just the kind of thing that turns up on "sporterized" milsurps.

Jim
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I apparently misunderstood and thought that the rifle was yours and you were offered something that you felt was worth $600 for the pictured rifle.

You can likely buy a lot better rifle and scope for $600.00.
  8. popgun

popgun New Member

worth $250 tops
  9. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Thank you for the replies. Hammer, it is a friends rifle and wants something that I have (nice metal detector). I do not like the thumbhole and wanted to put a different or close to original stock on it and shoot it. I've decided not to trade but wanted to know if it was a fair trade or one of us was getting ripped off.