Rifle scopes in general

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by thomas44, Aug 13, 2009.

1. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I'm sure this has never come up (kidding of course), but what is everyones favorite brand of rifle scopes ? I'm talking in general terms. I was talking to a gentleman recently who builds custom target rifles and shotguns, and he was telling me about an up and coming company called Vortex, and he says they are the best optics he's ever seen, and he's seen a bunch of 'em. I've got an Elite 3200 Bushnell that I just got for my new
    .308 Savage that's pretty nice, but I think I'm going to end up using that in the future for something else because I just ordered a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44. We'll see how it goes. They don't even have their distribution all set up yet, but you can order them, or just look at them at...

http://www.vortexoptics.com/
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

No offense, but offhand I can think of a dozen or so that are better tenfold. You may need to shop dealers. Guess he`ll be stocking these????
    I`ll take the Elite over those right off.
  3. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I have a Vortex Spotting Scope and I would rate it a "C." If their glass is the same in their scopes then many other scopes would do better. My favorite scope is NightForce for the money - but they are pretty expensive.
  4. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

I have one scoped rifle (not encludng rimfire)

This is what I use, and Ive sold a bunch of them at the range and to friend because they look though mine

http://www.gunblast.com/SWFA_Super_Sniper.htm

http://www.supersniper.com/SuperSniperReviews.htm

But then I shoot dimes at 200 yards for fun.

The Mrs uses a Vortex red/green dot. nice cheapie for her SKS.

My friend bought a Vortex 8-24x-50 for his 30-06, ended up getting the scope above and putting the vortex on his rimfire
  5. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I'm never offended by someone else's opinion. Perhaps I put too much stock in this guys recommendation. ?? We'll see. It's always good to have extra scopes laying around to switch around and play with.

That Super Sniper looks interesting for the $$.

I agree about the NightForce scopes, although I've never owned one or looked through one, I've read alot of good things about them. Someday I would like to own one.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I kinda like the Nikon scopes, as good as any I have used and are affordable!
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have many rifles and pistols with many scoped. I have Burris, Leopold, old Tasco, Weaver, and Bushnell Trophy scopes (and others I can't even remember). Ten years ago I thought the Burris scopes to be the best at a better price than say Leopold but the pricing difference has disappeared and a couple of the Burris scopes I have have tightened up thier sealing rings so much from time that adjusting them is tough. It is interesting that I can not see an iota of difference between the optical viewing quality between any of these scopes. But I have had a cheapy Tasco fall apart (not their old World Class scope) and with the exception of one or two Tasco's I have always bought better scopes.

Most recently I winced at the new scope pricing and found that the Bushnell Trophy Series scope semed to be the most scope for the least money. I have several and they are fine. Again my eyes must be bad enough (???) so that I can not see any difference in the optical viewing quality between these Bushnell Trophies and my most expensive Leopold. I tend to buy high power scopes and that is where you would think the differences would show up (??). The one exception to this was the old Tasco 8 to 32 which was so bad at full power as to almost be useless.

This is just my experience and yours may differ.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  8. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Vortex told me today that the Vipers are made in the Philippines.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

For hunting I like the bushnell elite scopes. The rainguard works. That is very important to me.
  10. Sandman

Sandman Member

Leupold. Best value. Good customer service, tough as nails, high quality optics. Unless you want to jump up to the top of the line where the scopes are really expensive, you can't do better than Leupold.
  11. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I would have to say Leupold for me. I have quit a few and just like the durability and the customer service from them. I do have some others that I use but if given a choice of only one it would be Leupold for me.
  12. army mp

army mp Member

I have always used the mid-range price scopes. Years ago it was Redfield, now its Nikon. Deer hunting my area 3x9x40 is about all I need. Woodchucks a higher power would be nice. But not really needed. I have ran the gauntlet, with Tasco, simmons and weaver. Not much of a fan. But that’s me.
  13. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Love my Leupold 3-9x50, gonna go sight it in again this W.E. due to eye surgery. can't wait, cause I could notice the diff even with crappy cataracts.
  14. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

The scopes I have bought other than Leupold that I have been completely satisfied with have been few and far between. I get amused when I hear of some new company, Nightforce for example that is building optics that are MUCH better than Leupold who has been building top of the line scopes for a long time. Usually such scopes are much larger and heavier than the Leupold it is being compared to which is how Nightforce does it. I suspect this Vortex optics is along the same line. Personally I prefer Leupold. I have a couple of Burris scopes, a Nikon and an old Redfield and a dozen Leupolds. I have sent several scopes back, bought them, looked through them and sent them back. This includes a Ziess. I have never been dissatisfied with a Leupold. I have never had a really expensive scope like a Swarovski. I really doubt that the extra money would buy any meaningful improvement in performance. I'm not very brand loyal in general but Leupold has earned my loyalty.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  15. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Thats a pretty solid endorsement. Thanks. Oh, I don't know if it makes any difference, but the guy who mentioned the Vortex scopes said that specifically the Viper series are the really good ones. Didn't know anything about the less expensive series. Thanks for everyones feedback.