Rifle scopes in general

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by thomas44, Aug 13, 2009.

1. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Ill chime in late...but in my humble opinion, you cant beat a Leupold mid-range price and high quality...I would love to have a Night Force or a Schmidt und Bender, but practicallity tells me 'NO'..because of the price tag... If I were a big time comp shooter or serious big game hunter, Id spend the extra bucks...Leupold makes what I need in the price range I like...Got a CQT on an assault rifle and a couple of MKIV's on the long range stuff..They fit my bill..

Ive got a Millitt 6x25 on my Model 1 in .223 that was in the 4-500$ range that so far has been an excellent scope..Havent shot it yet with this optic, but I like it so far...Well made and very clear..
  2. Daric

Daric Member

You will not be let down by the MONARCH. And focusing on high magnification isn't (by what I have been told by competion shooters and snipers) the way to go. That is what spotting scopes are for. When moving zoom back and forth you change hold over or your (bdc) markings. I say that because $200 - $500 is not going to buy a quality click range adjustment scope. If I have worded some things wrong it's because I'm no expert but I have heard enough experts say this. Nikon , and leupold are great for the money but if your looking for something different try Vortex. Konus is anouther option I think might be in your price range and still better than most cheaper scopes. OPTICSPLANET.COM is the best place I have found. Free shipping and tax free.
  3. jwrauch

jwrauch New Member

Nikons are a great value ! JR
  4. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

As with anything else, how much do you want to spend?

If you can't see it with a Leupold riflescope, forget about it. There are many excellent quality scopes at a reasonable price; Leupold, Nikon, Pentax ect.....

Spend what you want.
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

This weekend, I had the opportunity to look at the Vortex PST scopes. Very nice scopes, I think I am sold on them. Goes for about $750 for the 6-24 x50mm. Did a lot of research on the internet this weekend and it seems like people are very happy with them.
  6. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I have owned a few scopes in my time. To be honest when I buy a scope for a gun I plan on working over I go to walmart and get the cheapass BSA for $24.38 4x32. Never had a problem with any of them and they all take a beating. Only gripe is the crosshairs are kinda fat, but it makes it easy to see them in brush. I had a Leupold 2-7x32 rimfire special that had thin crosshairs that vanished in brush or anything other than a paper target. the BSA works better in this case.........

Not sayin the others are a waste of money, just reporting the BSA cheapies are actually better than good enough and will take some punishment for how cheap they are...
  7. happyskeeter

happyskeeter New Member

GunHugger _ However, I believe the actual lenses are made in Japan and then shipped out. Vortex is a good value especially the PST scopes and their great customer service/warranty.

If you REALLY need to count on your scope 100% and can not be let down IMO Nightforce is the best bang for the buck out there plus made in the USA. Sure it is expensive starting for about $1400 but it is an incredible bargain for what you get. Most of what you get you never see (besides the quality of the lenses). It is one of the very few scopes that can standup to the recoil of 20mm anti-tank guns. Sure most of us do not need that but did you ever drop your rifle on a rock? For hunting where the deer do not shoot back a Bushnell 6500 is fine but if the deer are armed you will want the Nightforce.
  8. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I would love to put a Nightforce on my rifle, but there is no way I could justify the cost for just putting holes in paper. If the deer in this country ever arm themselves, then I will definitely get a Nightforece.