Rifle Scopes - Parallax Adjustment

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Bubblehead, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I'm getting ready to purchase a new scope and wanted to know how important parallax adjustment might be. The scoped rifle will be primarily used for hunting with some occasional target shooting at steel at 500yds.

I'm trying to get the most for my $'s and don't want to buy features that I really don't need.

Thank you,

John
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

absolute must. there is a big difference between 50 and 500 yrds. If you site it in at 100 you will not like what you see at 300. Will not be clear, kinda like mirage. It will take away from your ablility to score a deer also. ;)

Also don't skimp on the rings and bases. Use steel rings and bases. Have a shop put them on to spec. Warne makes a good product and the price is right.
  3. Sandman

Sandman New Member

IMO, it is not important for hunting. You never know what range your shot will be, and I don't want to take time to adjust parallax. It might be more important on the range for extended shooting (eye strain). I used to have a scope with parallax adjustment and don't think I ever used it. I prefer to keep it simple with an adjustable power scope, but no adjustable objective.
  4. Sandman

Sandman New Member

There you have it. Right off the bat you get two opposite opinions. I do agree about the rings & bases. I prefer Leupold scopes and get Leupold rings and bases to go along with it. Also, Leupold scopes have the parallax set at 150 yards usually, whereas I think a lot of other scopes are set at 100yds.
  5. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

That was pretty funny. However I value all opinions. It's up to me to digest all the information and then live with my decision.

John
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

hahahaha, Sandman, I do value your opinion. And yes I also believe it is not important for 100 to 150 yrd hunting shots. But the request was for up to 500 yrds. I do shoot speed goats up to 500 yrds in New Mexico and find that it does help me, in fact i wouldn't have it any other way. For me it's a must. just my 02. :D
  7. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I will openly admit that I have EXTREMELY limited experience at 500 yard distances. My opinion comes mainly from hunting, and 250 to 300 yds is about as far as I will ever have the opportunity for a shot (most shot opportunities are 200 or less), and I usually need to take the shot pretty quickly, so don't have time to make many adjustments. In different situations the adjustable parallax may very well be valuable.
  8. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I have a Leupold 3x9 as well it is dead on at 300yds. But the farthest I have shot an animal has been 358yds all others have been 100yds or less. I would go with the Leupold as well I have had it for 10 plus years and have only had to adjust it once when I take it out to sight it in each year.
  9. ToolsForPros

ToolsForPros New Member

To me, adjustable objectives aren't necessary for a hunt scope > 10 power, just in the way. This coming from somebody who likes to keep it simple.
  10. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

Gentlemen all: I feel that the parallax question confuses my chances of ever seeing a quarter, much less a dime group at a hundred yards. It seems that I look at a different angle every time I try to center the reticle on a spot. Would anyone care to direct the rookie to the "How to look through a riflescope" section.
  11. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Knuckledragger

You want to get a copy (private reprint) of the USMC sniper manual....Often available at gun shows.

Basically you want to get you face on the stock the same way every time. Think this was termed as a "stock weld" or words of similar meaming.